How to Fix Blotchy Royal Icing

Reaction score
I have been experiencing blotchy royal icing but not with every color. Mostly with red! I am newer to cookie decorating and I’m trying to figure this out. I live in Virginia so a humid ish climate. I didn’t use a dehydrator for the cookies, and I use egg whites in my royal icing. What am I doing wrong? I did just buy a food dehydrator so not sure if that’s a solution or if I’m doing something wrong. I put picture examples in the comments!

Reaction score
2696F926-3331-4D32-993F-60BE21F42CC2.jpeg
F70DFA5F-F463-4BFC-BF43-7E3233EDA8C2.jpeg
E8379F81-587E-4DF4-A380-625EFD275039.jpeg

Reaction score
I'd say it's the cookie or a reaction between cookie and moisture in the icing.
Try baking the cookie as usual, let it cool then bake again at low temp to dry it out thoroughly.
The cookie will soften as it absorbs moisture from the icing later. I also wouldn't worry about it, it's not poison.

Reaction score
I'd say it's the cookie or a reaction between cookie and moisture in the icing.
Try baking the cookie as usual, let it cool then bake again at low temp to dry it out thoroughly.
The cookie will soften as it absorbs moisture from the icing later. I also wouldn't worry about it, it's not poison.
Haha def not poison, but also not very pretty! I will try out what you said! I didn’t think about it potentially being the butter. Thank you!

Reaction score
Haha def not poison, but also not very pretty! I will try out what you said! I didn’t think about it potentially being the butter. Thank you!
Not butter, just ambient moisture in the dough. It can come from cheap butter but it doesn't matter where it comes from just eliminate it and if that doesn't solve it move to the next source,, the coloring.

Ask a Question