Key Lime Roll Cake

Discussion in 'Cakes' started by Matthew21, Dec 4, 2018 at 2:59 AM.

1. Matthew21

Matthew21 New Member

OK, i'm trying to put together something that I will probably make next summer, Key Lime Roll Cake. I'm looking into Roll cakes right now, in preparation for a potential Buche De Noel around Christmas. I have a recipe for Chocolate Roulade that should probably work, both for Christmas, and to reverse engineer for the Key lime roll, by removing the chocolate, but how to place the Key Lime flavoring in? Zest and Juice would be the obvious way, but in the cake itself? Or perhaps just the filling?

Thought that i'd run it through here

Matthew21, Dec 4, 2018 at 2:59 AM
    1. Advertisements

2. Matthew21

Becky Administrator

If it were me, I'd probably keep the cake plain and concentrate on the filling. You could make a really tangy lime curd, and top it with Italian meringue. Yummy! If you don't think the lime curd will being enough lime to the party, then maybe add lime zest to the cake. I wouldn't add lime juice, the acidity will upset the balance of the cake recipe.

Becky, Dec 4, 2018 at 11:09 AM
    Norcalbaker59 likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Matthew21

Norcalbaker59 Well-Known Member

Converting a chocolate cake into a vanilla cake isn’t straight forward. Chocolate cake is usually made with cocoa powder. Cocoa powder sholud be bloomed before adding to the batter. So the chocolate batter is going to have water, but a vanilla roulade will not contain water. Cocoa powder is highly hygroscopic, which can produce a very dry cake. To avoid a dry cake the formula for chocolate cake usually contains more fat. Roulades are best made with cake flour. Cake flour has a low absorption rate, much lower than cocoa powder. So if you convert the chocolate cake to a vanilla cake you have to calculate the reduction in fat and liquid in the formula, taking into consideration of the absorption rate of the type of flour used.

It’s probably a lot simpler to find separate roulade recipes for chocolate and vanilla cake.

In so far as adding juice and zest, it is the zest that will provide the flavor. Juice adds very little flavor in baked goods. If I were going to make such a cake, I would add the zest to the roulade batter, and make a simple syrup with the lime juice. Apply some of that simple syrup to the cake just before assembly. Your filling can also be a key lime flavor. Do be careful with Key lime as it is bitter compared to Persian limes. I actually use Persian limes for my “Key” lime pie and I have yet to find anyone who could tell the difference. :p

Norcalbaker59, Dec 5, 2018 at 9:22 PM
    Becky likes this.
  4. Matthew21

Matthew21 New Member

Thanks alot for the help. I've looked up another roulade recipe, this one not chocolate that will hopefully work. I like putting the zest in the cake, and I like the idea of using the juice with a simple syrup. For filling, I would probably use either a whipped cream, or light vanilla Buttercream (which I believe I have a recipe for). Key Lime curd seems a bit more heavy than I would like really.

Matthew21, Dec 6, 2018 at 12:31 AM
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question