make boxes taste better

Discussion in 'Baker Banter' started by wahmed, Mar 19, 2015.

1. wahmed

wahmed Active Member

Some boxed mixes are great, like betty crockers devils food cake mix. To make it taste better add melted butter instead of oil and milk/juice instead of water.

wahmed, Mar 19, 2015
    1. Advertisements

2. wahmed

Trellum Well-Known Member

Have you tried the milk part yourself, wahmed? I haven't, but it sounds very good! Not very healthy, specially the butter bit, but it's not so bad if you only do it a couple times a year.

Trellum, Mar 19, 2015
    1. Advertisements

3. wahmed

tangela Well-Known Member

Yeah, I agree that if you add milk. I don't know about juice because it may change the way the cake tastes, but I'm sure milk will be fine! It will probably make the cake taste richer and fluffier :) I don't know if I would add too much butter though, because it won't be super healthy but it's worth a shot!

tangela, Mar 19, 2015
  4. wahmed

Tina Nord Well-Known Member

Thank you for the tips, I will try the butter and milk method next time I make a boxed cake, which will probably been soon as I have a couple in the pantry that I need to get used up.

Tina Nord, Mar 19, 2015
  5. wahmed

DancingLady Well-Known Member

Butter is much healthier than vegetable oils. You just don't want to eat way too much. I think it would taste amazing with butter, so rich and flavorful. Dairy fats have the best flavor really.

DancingLady, Mar 20, 2015
    Zyni likes this.
  6. wahmed

wahmed Active Member

The milk makes the cake awesome and fluffy.

Juice is excellent for fruit cakes. Milk for everything else

wahmed, Mar 20, 2015
  7. wahmed

Trellum Well-Known Member

I use butter for cooking most things always, only use vegetable oils for frying :) I'll never in my life touch margarine, ever, no hydrogenated oils for me. I'd love to try this idea out next time I use a boxed mix. Do you think I should use the same amount of milk as I would of water? I'm not supposed to eat cake often, but once or twice a year won't kill me :p

Trellum, Mar 20, 2015
  8. wahmed

Winterybella Well-Known Member

I have not bought a box cake in weeks. I am getting to be such a veteran I am getting more from scratch baking:).When I see these substitutes and know I can use something other than oil, I want to play around with the recipe. I honestly don't like all the oil. Never liked it in my box days.

Winterybella, Mar 21, 2015
    Zyni likes this.
  9. wahmed

PrideKidd Well-Known Member

Northwest Pennsylvania, Near great Lake Erie
    I agree with the above posters on the fact that butter is most certainly better than oil in almost every case. That I do to make boxed cake mixes is leave out a little of the milk, or liquid added and add another egg. It seems to make my brownies turn out rich and fluffy. :)

PrideKidd, Mar 22, 2015
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question