make boxes taste better

Reaction score
Some boxed mixes are great, like betty crockers devils food cake mix. To make it taste better add melted butter instead of oil and milk/juice instead of water.

Reaction score
Have you tried the milk part yourself, wahmed? I haven't, but it sounds very good! Not very healthy, specially the butter bit, but it's not so bad if you only do it a couple times a year.

Reaction score
Yeah, I agree that if you add milk. I don't know about juice because it may change the way the cake tastes, but I'm sure milk will be fine! It will probably make the cake taste richer and fluffier :) I don't know if I would add too much butter though, because it won't be super healthy but it's worth a shot!

Reaction score
Thank you for the tips, I will try the butter and milk method next time I make a boxed cake, which will probably been soon as I have a couple in the pantry that I need to get used up.

Reaction score
Have you tried the milk part yourself, wahmed? I haven't, but it sounds very good! Not very healthy, specially the butter bit, but it's not so bad if you only do it a couple times a year.
Butter is much healthier than vegetable oils. You just don't want to eat way too much. I think it would taste amazing with butter, so rich and flavorful. Dairy fats have the best flavor really.

Reaction score
Yeah, I agree that if you add milk. I don't know about juice because it may change the way the cake tastes, but I'm sure milk will be fine! It will probably make the cake taste richer and fluffier :) I don't know if I would add too much butter though, because it won't be super healthy but it's worth a shot!

The milk makes the cake awesome and fluffy.

Juice is excellent for fruit cakes. Milk for everything else

Reaction score
Butter is much healthier than vegetable oils. You just don't want to eat way too much. I think it would taste amazing with butter, so rich and flavorful. Dairy fats have the best flavor really.

I use butter for cooking most things always, only use vegetable oils for frying :) I'll never in my life touch margarine, ever, no hydrogenated oils for me. I'd love to try this idea out next time I use a boxed mix. Do you think I should use the same amount of milk as I would of water? I'm not supposed to eat cake often, but once or twice a year won't kill me :p

Reaction score
Some boxed mixes are great, like betty crockers devils food cake mix. To make it taste better add melted butter instead of oil and milk/juice instead of water.

I have not bought a box cake in weeks. I am getting to be such a veteran I am getting more from scratch baking:).When I see these substitutes and know I can use something other than oil, I want to play around with the recipe. I honestly don't like all the oil. Never liked it in my box days.

Reaction score
I agree with the above posters on the fact that butter is most certainly better than oil in almost every case. That I do to make boxed cake mixes is leave out a little of the milk, or liquid added and add another egg. It seems to make my brownies turn out rich and fluffy. :)

Ask a Question