Milky Royal Icing

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out what is causing this. I'm making transfers ahead of time, and they look great day one, but then turn milky. It's typically the darker colors, but the lighter ones do it too, it's just less noticable. Is it too much water, too much mixing, not enough mixing, using it too soon after adding color or too much color to icing ratio? Should I dry with a fan? Is it all of the above? HELP!!!!!! (On cookies, it's fine. The Vaders are two weeks old)

Attachments

• IMG_7805.jpg
    IMG_7805.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7806.jpg
    IMG_7806.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Reaction score
Stephanie Kappel’s online class on the basics of decorating cookies would be a real help to you. Normally I don’t recommend sites that charge, but this particular cookie artist is really exceptional. Kappel goes through a very in-depth explanation on royal icing. You cannot just make a single batch and color it. You actually need five different consistency to decorate properly. But you need to see how it's done. That’s why I’m recommending this online class. Craftsy has a sale right now, 60% off.

Her online class:

You can check out her work on her blog.

Reaction score
Thank you for the advice. I may do that down the line. I've been experimenting with some things and I've figured out my issues. It was a combination of too much water in the icing, re-using icing batches too much (hence the additions of water each time because it thickens a little when sitting), and slow drying times. I made adequate amounts of the colors I needed, piped out all the transfers that needed each color in one session, and dried them with a fan for a bit and they look great.

Ask a Question