My cake was too moist

Reaction score
My daughter's birthday was the other day and I set out to make a triple layer Nutella chocolate cake. The cake itself turned out really fluffy and moist, to the point where it actually split apart and collapsed when I frosted it. I was in tears over the disaster! Does anyone have any idea what may have went wrong, not enough egg maybe? I ended up buying one at the store for her party and we had cake pile just as a snack that night.

Reaction score
That's disappointing when you had made it for an occasion, but I had to laugh at the 'cake pile' as a snack, because that's exactly what I would have done, too. It sounds as if there was nothing wrong with the taste, just that it didn't bind together well enough. It might help if you post the recipe here, so people who know about that sort of thing can look it over and see if they can figure out what went wrong.

Reaction score
I would guess not enough eggs. Nutella has quite a bit of oil in it. Perhaps it was too oily as well? I don't know what the batter looked like before you baked it though.

Reaction score
My daughter's birthday was the other day and I set out to make a triple layer Nutella chocolate cake. The cake itself turned out really fluffy and moist, to the point where it actually split apart and collapsed when I frosted it. I was in tears over the disaster! Does anyone have any idea what may have went wrong, not enough egg maybe? I ended up buying one at the store for her party and we had cake pile just as a snack that night.

Actually too much eggs is what makes an egg moist... specially the yolks. Did you use anything else apart from the oil and eggs? Like for example sour cream?? I think it also has something to do with the elevation of where you live... maybe you should have mixed it a bit longer, to help with the gluten formation in the cake. That usually make cakes dryer.

Reaction score
Actually too much eggs is what makes an egg moist... specially the yolks. Did you use anything else apart from the oil and eggs? Like for example sour cream?? I think it also has something to do with the elevation of where you live... maybe you should have mixed it a bit longer, to help with the gluten formation in the cake. That usually make cakes dryer.
It called for a cup and a half of buttermilk for the cake batter as well. The cake and frosting tasted phenomenal, it just did not hold together as expected. I really want to try this cake out again because it was delicious. I am having a hard time getting the link to insert to this thread but here is the website:

www.sweetapolita.com and search for Best Ever Nutella Chocolate Layer Cake.

Reaction score
I would guess not enough eggs. Nutella has quite a bit of oil in it. Perhaps it was too oily as well? I don't know what the batter looked like before you baked it though.

I'm with DancingLady here. It seems if the eggs and other ingredients weren't enough to make it super moist on its own; then the other oils in the recipe have to have played into it. Like the oil from Nutella, or just oil overall from egg whites and stuff mixed with the Nutella.

Reaction score
I looked at the recipe and it's got a lot of ingredients that would be very moist. I'd probably lessen the vegetable oil amount. Since it's already got buttermilk and three eggs I think that's pretty moist already that the oil would just push it over the edge.

The pictures of the cake on that website look divine - looks like she makes a ton of amazing stuff!

Reaction score
It called for a cup and a half of buttermilk for the cake batter as well. The cake and frosting tasted phenomenal, it just did not hold together as expected. I really want to try this cake out again because it was delicious. I am having a hard time getting the link to insert to this thread but here is the website:

www.sweetapolita.com and search for Best Ever Nutella Chocolate Layer Cake.

It's a shame, but I'd dare to say that extra moistening agent did it. Adding oil and eggs is enough, maybe a bit of mayo (as a moistening agent) but one cup and half of buttermilk is too much if you ask me. I think we already have the one to blame right there. I think half cup would have been fine for this cake. So sorry it turned out like that :( Next time be careful with those moistening agents, if you are in doubt cut the quantity in half.

Reaction score
It's a shame, but I'd dare to say that extra moistening agent did it. Adding oil and eggs is enough, maybe a bit of mayo (as a moistening agent) but one cup and half of buttermilk is too much if you ask me. I think we already have the one to blame right there. I think half cup would have been fine for this cake. So sorry it turned out like that :( Next time be careful with those moistening agents, if you are in doubt cut the quantity in half.
Thanks for your tip on this. I might try to make it again in the future using a little less buttermilk. I wish this recipe came with video instructions so I could see how the baker made it exactly.

Reaction score
Thanks for your tip on this. I might try to make it again in the future using a little less buttermilk. I wish this recipe came with video instructions so I could see how the baker made it exactly.

You are welcome :) If you want your cake to be a bit more dry, then you should try mixing the batter a bit longer, so the gluten has more time to form in the batter. Actually this is great to get a chewy and more dense texture :) Thanks to those gluten strands.

Reaction score

I can't offer too much of an opinion. I like to sit back and watch the experts give their expert advice and I think what they are saying makes sense. That aside, I can speak with authority when it comes to misses:) and my encouragement is to go back at it with all guns blazing. When I have a miss in the baking department I get a little down, but I pick myself back up and go at it again and most times I get it right on my next go.
I am also with you on the videos. I love to have a video to watch. I had one for some scones I made recently. I made a mistake on the first try and went right back a second time and had better success. Let's know how it goes next time.

Ask a Question