My stand mixer keeps flicking sugar syrup out of Italian meringue.

ST1

Reaction score
Hi, I don't know if this is the place to post this but I've got a query about italian meringue making.

I'm using a stand mixer and pouring the hot syrup into a fairly small amount of egg white but most of the sugar syrup just ends up on the side of the bowl (and conjealed at the bottom underneath the egg white) rather than incorporated which leads me to have a poorly-structured meringue, lacking a fair bit of aeration.

Any tips/solutions? My two thoughts were, 1. Use a hand mixer with whisk attachment instead; 2. The setting is too high and should be slow whilst incorporating the syrup.

Reaction score
I pour it down the side of the bowl in a kitchenaid in a steady stream whilst holding the bowl up to contact the whip, that way the syrup can't pool up. Syrup does not contact the whip.

Reaction score
Hi, I don't know if this is the place to post this but I've got a query about italian meringue making.

I'm using a stand mixer and pouring the hot syrup into a fairly small amount of egg white but most of the sugar syrup just ends up on the side of the bowl (and conjealed at the bottom underneath the egg white) rather than incorporated which leads me to have a poorly-structured meringue, lacking a fair bit of aeration.

Any tips/solutions? My two thoughts were, 1. Use a hand mixer with whisk attachment instead; 2. The setting is too high and should be slow whilst incorporating the syrup.

I’m not sure what you mean by a small amount of egg whites. Two egg whites? I wouldn’t advise less than 4 in a stand mixer unless you have a KitchenAid mini 3.5 quart mixer bowl.

Regarding a hand mixer, I wouldn’t advise it. It would be difficult to pour hot syrup into the mixing bowl with one hand, while beating the egg whites with the other a hand. The sugar syrup could leave third-degree burns if you burned yourself. The risk is just not worth it.

1. Transfer the syrup into a Pyrex heatproof glass measuring cup. Make sure you scrape the pot to get all the syrup. Using a handled measuring cup will give you better control over where you pour.

2. Reduce the speed of the mixer to low. Pour in a slow stream. After all the syrup is poured in, increase the speed of the mixer to high

3. Pour between the side of the bowl and the whisk

ST1

Reaction score
I’m not sure what you mean by a small amount of egg whites. Two egg whites? I wouldn’t advise less than 4 in a stand mixer unless you have a KitchenAid mini 3.5 quart mixer bowl.

Regarding a hand mixer, I wouldn’t advise it. It would be difficult to pour hot syrup into the mixing bowl with one hand, while beating the egg whites with the other a hand. The sugar syrup could leave third-degree burns if you burned yourself. The risk is just not worth it.

1. Transfer the syrup into a Pyrex heatproof glass measuring cup. Make sure you scrape the pot to get all the syrup. Using a handled measuring cup will give you better control over where you pour.

2. Reduce the speed of the mixer to low. Pour in a slow stream. After all the syrup is poured in, increase the speed of the mixer to high

3. Pour between the side of the bowl and the whisk
This is so helpful!! Thanks for the advice.
I'm talking about 100g egg white which is roughly 2-3 eggs.

I'm going try points 2 and 3 and try to hold the bowl up to the whisk as @retired baker suggested.

Happy Sunday! :)

Reaction score

I'm going try points 2 and 3 and try to hold the bowl up to the whisk as @retired baker suggested.

I would not advise holding the bowl up to the whisk because it will simply splash the hot syrup all over the place.

What he states is exactly the OPPOSITE of what they teach in culinary school because it is so dangerous.

Reaction score

do it like this, always keep the rear retainer clip and one side firmly anchored to the yoke, only lift the handle side.
once all the syrup is in, tap the bowl with your hand to fully reseat it back in the yoke. Done.

Ask a Question