No crunch in my cookies.

Reaction score
I'm trying to make Crunchy Oatmeal Cookies but they never turn out crunchy all the way through. They're crispy on the outside and taste good but chewy on the inside.
What do I have to do to make them crunchy all the through and have some height to them? I don't want them thin and crispy but thicker and crunchy; similar to the thickness and texture of a Famous Amos chocolate chip cookie.
Here's my recipe:

¾ c butter salted soften

1/2 c light brown sugar

½ c sugar

1 tsp vanilla

¼ c Milk

1 egg yolk

2 1/2 c oats

1 ¼ c fl

½ tsp Baking soda

¾ tsp Salt

Oven at 350 upper-middle rack for 13 minutes

Thanks
bbq

Reaction score
change all the sugar to granulated sugar. Brown sugar has molasses in it; molasses is an invert sugar; invert sugar will keep a cookie soft.

Reaction score
Instead of using brown sugar, you can use white sugar or corn syrup in a cookie to produce a crisp and crunch.

White sugar (which is granulated sugar) will produce a crisp cookie. Also caused the cookie to spread so you will get a thin cookie.

I cannot use all corn syrup in a cookie because corn syrup is an invert sugar. Invert sugars are more hygroscopic than other sugars. Hygroscopic means it pulls water from its environment. So sugar will pull water from whatever free water is available in the batter or dough, as well as from the air. So invert sugars do this more than other sugars. And that means it will Interfere with the development of the gluten and change the starch gelatinization of the flour. So the cookie will be extremely soft and will crumble.

Invert sugars like corn syrup in a cookie dough will create a soft chewy cookie, not a crispy cookie.

Ask a Question