Cookie Crunch problem

Reaction score
I'm getting a crisp edge on my thin oatmeal cookies but I can't figure out how to get a crunch all the way through the cookie like a Famous Amos. Below is the recipe I'm using. Any help would be appreciated.
thanks

• 1/2 C unsalted butter, room temp
  • 1/2 C dark brown sugar
  • ½ c sugar, white
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 3/4 t vanilla extract
  • 3/4 C All Purpose flour
  • 3/4 C Oatmeal
  • 3/4 t baking soda
  • 1 tbs milk
  • Baking temp 350 approx, 10 min, upper rack on parchment

Reaction score
it’s the moisture content. The dark brown sugar should be changed to light brown sugar.

You should have more granulated sugar than brown sugar.

you’re a baking by volume which makes it difficult to make proper adjustments.

These ratios will produce a crispy cookie. It’s based on a recipe that was developed by America’s Test Kitchen but their recipe was a salted version that no one like. So I modified The ratios slightly to my liking. And eliminated the extra salt. I actually use a different combination of sugars rather than the sugars listed here, and do a couple other things so this is not my actual recipe. But these ratios will get you to a crispier cookie.

I don’t bake by volume so I can’t convert it to cups. But if you Google for america’s test kitchen oatmeal cookie recipe you’ll be able to find versions online in volume measurement.

Flour 1.00%
Oatmeal 2.25%
Granulated sugar 1.40%
Light brown sugar .35%
Unsalted butter 1.40%
baking powder .02%
baking soda .01%
Kosher salt .02% (Diamond brand)
egg .36%

Get rid of the milk I don’t even know why it’s there.

Reaction score
thanks for your input. I will look into the sugar ratios. Unfortunately, I could only find recipes from Americas Test Kit for Chewy Oatmeal.

Reaction score
Thin & Crispy Salted Oatmeal Cookies
adapted from an America’s Test Kitchen recipe

1 cup all purpose flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 3/4 sticks butter, 65°F
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups oatmeal (pref. quick cooking)
approx 3/4 – 1 tsp coarse kosher or sea salt

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Line 3 large (18- by 12-inch) baking sheets with parchment paper.
  2. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl.
  3. In standing mixer fitted with paddle attachment, beat butter and sugars at medium-low speed until just combined, about 20 seconds. Increase speed to medium and continue to beat until light and fluffy, about 1 minute longer. Scrape down bowl with rubber spatula.
  4. Add egg and vanilla and beat on medium-low until fully incorporated, about 30 seconds. Scrape down bowl again.
  5. With mixer running at low speed, add flour mixture and mix until just incorporated and smooth, 10 seconds.
  6. With mixer still running on low, gradually add oats and mix until well incorporated, 20 seconds. Give dough final stir with rubber spatula to ensure that no flour pockets remain and ingredients are evenly distributed.
  7. Divide dough into 24 equal portions, each about 2 tablespoons (or use #30 cookie scoop), then roll between palms into balls.
  8. Place cookies on prepared baking sheets, spacing them about 2 1/2 inches apart, 8 dough balls per sheet (see note above). Using fingertips, gently press each dough ball to 3/4-inch thickness. Lightly sprinkle sea salt evenly over flattened dough balls before baking.
  9. Bake 1 sheet at a time until cookies are deep golden brown, edges are crisp, and centers yield to slight pressure when pressed, 13 to 16 minutes, rotating baking sheet halfway through.
  10. Transfer baking sheet to wire rack; cool cookies completely on sheet.

Ask a Question