Peanut Butter Frosted Brownies

Reaction score
My sister-in-law makes some really great basic desserts and a to die for Peanut Butter Frosted Brownies. Unfortunately that's about all she can make :p. Those heaven sent brownies really make my day until I try to make them and then the world ends. I have gotten the brownie making skill to be pretty good but, it's the Peanut Butter Frosting that gets me every time. She has given me the recipe over and over again and I can never make it taste like hers. Maybe it's my punishment for picking on her inability to cook. She makes the frosting using only two ingredients powder sugar and peanut butter and it comes out all smooth and taste. When I do it there always lumps of powdered sugar. I've tried everything even add a little bit of powdered sugar slowly. Does anyone have a great Peanut Butter Frosting recipe?

Reaction score
I have tried sifting the sugar with no success. Maybe the recipe does need milk and/ or butter. I'm going to try and make the brownies tonight. I'm going to add a little bit of milk and butter to see if it makes a difference. I hope they come out great. I've tried looking online for an exact recipe like hers, but none of the one that I've seen even look like the ones she make. Maybe it's time I create a new maybe better version of the peanut butter frosted brownies.

Reaction score
Hmmm my suggestion would be sifting the icing sugar too, but if you've tried that I'm not sure why you've got lumps... are you using a whisk to mix it together? You could perhaps try mixing some water with the icing sugar first until you have a smooth paste (again, sift first and use a whisk) because it probably wouldn't require that much water, and then add the peanut butter. Also @Kitty Reeves makes a good point that you get a lot of variety in peanut butter brands, so might be worth asking which one she uses.

Another thought just popped into my head... if all she can make is these brownies, how do you know she isn't cheating with the frosting?! :eek: ;)

Reaction score
Are you using the same brands as she is? Sometimes taste is all a matter of what brand you used.

You're probably right, she maybe using a different brand of peanut butter. I also wonder if she is warming it slightly to make it more smoother. I will be doing some experimenting because I really want to master those brownies.

Reaction score
Hmmm my suggestion would be sifting the icing sugar too, but if you've tried that I'm not sure why you've got lumps... are you using a whisk to mix it together? You could perhaps try mixing some water with the icing sugar first until you have a smooth paste (again, sift first and use a whisk) because it probably wouldn't require that much water, and then add the peanut butter. Also @Kitty Reeves makes a good point that you get a lot of variety in peanut butter brands, so might be worth asking which one she uses.

Another thought just popped into my head... if all she can make is these brownies, how do you know she isn't cheating with the frosting?! :eek: ;)

That is so funny, you could be absolutely right. She could be cheating on the frosting and using store brought. If that is the case she has made a fool out of me. I've known her for twelve years and at least once a year I try to make them. So I've been trying for twelve and that is not something I'm happy to admit. I going to see if I can't find that frosting in the store and taste it. I won't be mad if she cheated because I have some secret recipes that I don't like to share. I often tell people it's store brought ,I know it's wrong but some of my best dishes I want to remain my best dish.

Ask a Question