Pie crust keeps getting burnt

Reaction score
My mom and I really enjoy baking together and I love it even more because I find myself learning so much from her and our baking experiences are so much fun.
We seem to keep running into the same problem every time we make apple pie or chicken pot pie. Everything seems to go smoothly after putting the pie into the oven and after checking it a couple of times it all looks good, but when the timer rings to get it out the pie crust is burnt and over flowing. No matter how many time we've tried to do things differently the same result keeps happening. I am not sure if there is any other way to keep this from happening again. Does anyone know what we could do to keep this from happening again?

Reaction score
First of all, I would set the timer for LESS than the recipe calls for if this happens consistently and check the pie more at the end. You didn't mention whether or not the rest of the pie is overcooked so I will assume that is not the case but if that is so, your oven may run "hot" and you may want to adjust the temp down to compensate for that.
Another tip for pie baking is to cover the edge of the crust during the last part of baking. You can use a pie shield (most kitchen stores sell them for a few dollars) or just use regular ol' tin foil to cover the outer edges of the crust to avoid burning. I use those on every pie I make and usually put it on for the last 15 minutes of baking. That will avoid overcooking of the edge and hopefully the overflow issue. Lastly, are you putting vent holes in the middle of the crust to allow air to escape? That's another way to decrease such disasters. Hope this helps!

Reaction score
If the edges keep getting burnt, but the rest of the pie is turning out fine - you can always wrap the exposed crust edge with a bit of aluminum foil, removing it about 10 minutes before the overall pie is done to get a nice golden color there. I've had this happen once or twice on chicken pot pies as well.

Reaction score
If the edges keep getting burnt, but the rest of the pie is turning out fine - you can always wrap the exposed crust edge with a bit of aluminum foil, removing it about 10 minutes before the overall pie is done to get a nice golden color there. I've had this happen once or twice on chicken pot pies as well.
Yes! This works really well! My aunt used to do this all the time when she baked pies! She claimed her oven was not even and the temperature was hotter in certain areas of the oven...whether that is actually true or not, I have no idea. However, I do know wrapping it in aluminum foil works well! She did it and claimed it helped save her pies! I have done it a few times myself and have found great success each time! Best of luck and happy baking! :)

Reaction score
I take a square of aluminum foil and fold it in half and then in half again. Put the folded point in the center of the pie. Cut a round out that is just about an inch smaller than the pie. Unfold the aluminum foil and you will see it is a perfect circle. Place the foil over the pie before you bake it and remove it in the last 15 minutes of the bake time. Your pie crust will come out perfect every time.

Reaction score
The foil trick is definitely worth trying! If you find it a bit fiddly, you can get silicone crust protectors. I've not tried them myself but they come in all different sizes.

Reaction score
I can only liken this to a doing French bread. Now if you are not so posh and are attempting a French bread recipe in the oven, you need to give it a spray every now and again. Get an old spray bottle and as it's cooking, every 5 minutes or so open the oven door and mist the top to keep it from burning.

Give it a try cookie; hope it helps.

Reaction score

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    125 KB · Views: 605

Ask a Question