Pie crust?

Reaction score
How do you guys successfully make pie crust? I love eating homemade pies, but I just can't get a hang of making my own. I really want to try a new blueberry pie recipe this weekend, but I just can't get over my previous disasters!

Reaction score
My pie crust recipe is fabulous, easy, and it works for quiches as well. It makes two crusts.

1 c. unsalted butter
3 c. flour
3 T. sugar (omit for pecan pie or anything else cloying)
1 t. salt
about 1/3 c. ice water

Put water in freezer to chill
Combine flour, sugar, and salt
Cut in butter until very crumbly
Add ice water (very cold water, no chunks of ice) slowly until a ball forms as you knead it together.
Shape into 2 disks, wrap in plastic wrap or wax paper and chill.
Roll to fit pie plate on floured surface.
For recipes that want it pre-baked: Poke holes with a fork to prevent bubbling, bate at 350, 8 minutes with foil or parchment paper and then about another 5 (until it looks baked and set) without the foil or paper.

Scraps can be combined into a smaller dough "cookie" and topped with soft butter, cinnamon, sugar and broiled until just set.

Reaction score
How do you make a successful pie crust? Practice, practice, practice. The ingredients are easy, but it takes a few tries to get the feel for the pastry dough. Here's my basic recipe, with as many tips as I can think of off the top of my head. If any part seems confusing, let me know and I'll try to clarify. I've been making pie crusts since I was 12, so I may take some steps for granted:

Flaky Shortcrust Pastry (for a double crust pie)

3 cups all-pourpose flour - chilled if the weather is warm
½ cup unsalted butter - ice-cold and cut into pieces
½ cup vegetable shortening - ice-cold and cut into pieces
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup to ¾ cup ice water (depending on room humidity)

Directions

(TIP: If you live in a warm climate, chill your bowl, mixing tools, and rolling pin ahead of time.)

1. Sift the flour and salt into a chilled bowl

2. “Cut” the chilled butter/shortening pieces into the flour using a dinner fork or pastry blender (aka “pastry cutter”) until 40% to 50% of the butter/shortening pieces are still as large as peas.

(TIP: The large chunks of fat create flaky layers of pastry crust. If all the fat is too well-blended onto the flour, your crust will be as dense as cardboard.)

3. Sprinkle the ice water into the flour/butter mix, one spoonful at a time -- lightly mixing until the dough starts to clump together.

(TIP: By using ice water, you keep the butter/shortening solid.)

4. Pick up a small handful of dough and squeeze it in your palm. The dough should be just moist enough to hold together without falling apart (If it’s dry or crumbly, sprinkle a little more water into the dough).

(TIP: Be light-handed with the water. Too much water creates gluten, which will toughen the dough)

5. Transfer dough onto a sheet of wax paper or plastic wrap. For the double crust recipe, divide the dough in two.

(TIP: If you are making a double crust pie, make one half slightly larger than the other. You should use a little extra dough for the bottom crust.)

6. Gently pat dough into two balls.

(TIP: Do not compact dough too tightly - a little air is necessary for flaky crusts.)

7. Flatten each ball into a rough disk. Wrap each disk in wax paper/plastic and let chill in the refrigerator for at least one hour (can be left overnight).

(TIP: Chilled dough handles better, retains the solid fats for flakiness, and develops less gluten when worked.)

8. Turn chilled disk out onto lightly floured wax paper/parchment. Roll out dough with chilled rolling pin, rotating paper 1 quarter turn regularly to ensure a nice, even circle.

(TIP: If you work the dough too much, the crust will become tough and dense.)

9. Lift wax paper/parchment and flip the pastry dough right over the pan or filling. Position as necessary, and peel the paper off.

(TIP: Never stretch the crust; this will cause it to shrink as the pie bakes.)

10. Trim over-hanging dough with a sharp knife.

(TIP: You can patch tears in the dough by pinching it back together. Large gaps can be patched with scraps cut from the overhanging dough.)

11. Fill bottom pastry crust. Before adding top crust, cut “steam vents” in the top crust -- If you’re feeling fancy, make decorative cut outs which will serve the same purpose.

12. Crimp edges.

13. If desired, use pastry brush to lightly brush milk on the top crust for some “gloss”.

14. Put your pie in the oven!

(TIP: Set pie on a cookie sheet in the oven to catch any bubble-over spills.)

Reaction score
I have tried making pie crusts before but it never comes out well enough that I have given up on making it and just buy store ready pie crusts. I might just give the two recipes above another try and see how it goes.

Reaction score
I love the recipes posted! I will have to try these! I love a good old fashioned pie crust. I've heard one of the secrets to success is to work with very cold butter. I hope your recipe turns out well. :)

Reaction score
I tried the flaky short crust pie recipe posted above over the weekend and although it still didn't turn out great(all my fault really), it was a marked improvement from my previous attempts. I will probably be trying it repeatedly till I get it right enough to post a picture of it.

Reaction score
Thank you! I am making a pie on Friday, and the crust always sort of stresses me out. I feel like the homemade tastes so good that it's worth trying, but my pies always turn out sort of ugly. They taste good, they're just unattractive. My lattice crust was particularly unattractive. This post gives me the courage to try it one more time though...even though it's for a birthday. Wish me luck.

Reaction score
I would like to thank Miss DJ for that lengthy and informative post. I knew some of those tips already but some of them I was unaware of. So, again, thank you so much.

Reaction score
I've only made pie crust once before but it turned out really well and I found it a very satisfying bake. I can't remember the exact quantities I used, but I learnt the best way to do it is to mix the butter (as others have said, make sure it's cold!), sugar (not too much) and flour with your fingers until it makes fine bread crumbs, like a crumble topping. The end the ice cold water, mix it in a bit, then knead by hand.

Reaction score
I can't make Victoria Sponge, mum can - mum can't make pastry, I can!! I seem to completely ignore all the standard rules e.g. I don't worry about keeping things cold but still have lots of success.

If it's any help, pretty much any TV chef I watch uses shop bought pastry, with the attitude that 'life's too short'!!

If you have the time and are determined, keep at it but be prepared to break some of the standard rules and you'll find a method that works for you :)

Reaction score
I am a total buy-it- already made at the grocery store type of girl. I do like the fresher ready-made crusts instead of the frozen variety.

Reaction score
MissDJ this is an awesome recipe. I forgot about having everything cold... and I live in the South! You have supplied us with awesome instructions!

Reaction score
MissDJ, whoa this is a cool recipe. My mother has a really hard time trying to make pie crusts, so maybe I'd try suggesting this to her. Thank you for this recipe!

Reaction score
My pie crust recipe is fabulous, easy, and it works for quiches as well. It makes two crusts.

1 c. unsalted butter
3 c. flour
3 T. sugar (omit for pecan pie or anything else cloying)
1 t. salt
about 1/3 c. ice water

Put water in freezer to chill
Combine flour, sugar, and salt
Cut in butter until very crumbly
Add ice water (very cold water, no chunks of ice) slowly until a ball forms as you knead it together.
Shape into 2 disks, wrap in plastic wrap or wax paper and chill.
Roll to fit pie plate on floured surface.
For recipes that want it pre-baked: Poke holes with a fork to prevent bubbling, bate at 350, 8 minutes with foil or parchment paper and then about another 5 (until it looks baked and set) without the foil or paper.

Scraps can be combined into a smaller dough "cookie" and topped with soft butter, cinnamon, sugar and broiled until just set.
This sounds quite easy. My crusts don't always turn out the way I want, believe I'll try your recipe.

Reaction score
I love making my own pie crusts; they always seem more delicious than store-bought, but maybe that's just me. The thing is, I have very warm hands so butter melts really quickly. I find that chilling my hands and using a metal bowl helps a lot.

Thanks for the recipe and the helpful tips, MissDJ. I never considered chilling the flour as well.

Reaction score
I gave up on making pie crusts several years ago. Mine never turned out the way I wanted then to. I just buy store bought crusts nowadays.

Reaction score
I like to make a crumble crust for most pies, because it goes well with almost any kind of pie... excepting apple and pecan pies of course. Crumb crusts are easy :) All you need is some digestive biscuits, bit sugar and melted butter. Mix, place on pie pan, bake it for 10 minutes or put in the freezer for 5.

Ask a Question