Proving

Tel

Reaction score
Hi guys girls I'm new to baking and have been using Paul Hollywood recipes they turned out rubbish and flavorless and failed to rise, I've now mastered getting bread to do its first rise in a oiled bowl, but when I prove the bread after k ocking back the dough doesn't rise upwards it just spreads sideways and goes flat. How can the proving right thanks bakers

Tel

Tel

Reaction score
How can I improve on the proving, once it has had its first rise it is sticky and not dry does it need to be dry as such that it holds itself together or is a little sticky ok

Reaction score
I would recommend that you use a different author Jim Lahey's no knead bread is great for beginners.

If your bread doesn't hold its shape after the second rise it may have too much hydration or not enough gluten development, we would need to know the recipe and your proofing times. As for sticky or dry for the second proofing depending on the dough it should be smooth and A little sticky but not dry. It can take time figuring out what the dough should feel like at the different stages.

Reaction score
Depends what you mean by knocking it back, if all you do is punch the gas out and nothing else the dough will be very slack. and flatten out. It requires you tighten it up again. See this, I tighten it into a ball again for an even 2nd rising .

Reaction score
Hi guys girls I'm new to baking and have been using Paul Hollywood recipes they turned out rubbish and flavorless and failed to rise, I've now mastered getting bread to do its first rise in a oiled bowl, but when I prove the bread after k ocking back the dough doesn't rise upwards it just spreads sideways and goes flat. How can the proving right thanks bakers

Tel

Your dough is over fermented. This is the problem with not teaching Desired Dough Temperature (DDT). When your dough is too warm, the yeast develops too fast. It’s been plowed through all of its food source and dies off. There’s not enough live yeast for the second rise.

And if you used instant yeast, you really can’t control it’s growth.

Lowet the temperature of your water/liquid. Forget what the package says or the instructions tell you.

Ask a Question