Basic bread proving

Reaction score
Hi. I am new to baking and I would like to know how long dough can be left to prove. Can it be left overnight or does it need to be kept warm until baked? Thanks in advance for your advice. Cheers A

Reaction score
If you're going to leave it overnight, you need to put it in the refrigerator.
The lower temperature will retard the development of yeast in the dough. This will guard against over-proofing.

If you leave it on the counter the yeast will continue to develop unabated. When yeast feeds on the sugars it produces CO2. Eventually the yeast will deplete all the sugars in the dough. When that happens CO2 will no longer be produced. No gas bubbles, no rise--that's when the dough had been over proofed.

Reaction score
If you're going to leave it overnight, you need to put it in the refrigerator.
The lower temperature will retard the development of yeast in the dough. This will guard against over-proofing.

If you leave it on the counter the yeast will continue to develop unabated. When yeast feeds on the sugars it produces CO2. Eventually the yeast will deplete all the sugars in the dough. When that happens CO2 will no longer be produced. No gas bubbles, no rise--that's when the dough had been over proofed.

Thankyou so much for your help.

Reaction score
When you leave your dough overnight in the refrigerator, it needs to be brought to room temperature before baking. My favorite method is to shape the dough into the desired shape before refrigeration. When wanted, remove the dough and bring to room temp - about an hour - then bake as directed.

Ask a Question