Reducing the dry mouthfeel in brownies?

Reaction score
Hey all!

I am on a quest.

For the past three weeks I have probably baked well over two dozen batches of brownies. Various recipes, my own variations, etc.

The problem is this- I can NOT get home made brownies to be better overall than the boxed brownies.

Cakes? Absolutely. Cookies? No doubt. Literally everything else? Of course!

But that dang combination of not-too-intense chocolate flavor, crunchy crispy tops, fudgy/chewy center, crisp edges.... I just can't get all of those elements at one time!!

I finally have formulated a recipe that is perfection in the flavor department. Not too sweet, just the right amount of intensity, and a nice depth of flavor. However, every single recipe has fallen short in one specific department: the general mouth feel.

This recipe that I am using now has plenty of moisture, it doesn't taste dry at all. But, as soon as I swallow there is this dryness that seems to come from the chocolate. Should I try adding more butter? Perhaps some milk or cream? Any tips appreciated- before I gain 100 pounds from testing brownies LOL!

Reaction score
I don't quite understand what you mean, but putting mayonaise in brownies makes them very moist. Perhaps this willl solve your problem?

Reaction score
For the past three weeks I have probably baked well over two dozen batches of brownies.

Wow, I wish I was your neighbour! :D

What is the recipe you're currently working with? It would be helpful to know so that we can help make suggestions.

Reaction score
That is an after effect of chocolate. Unless you use a chocolate substitute or carob powder, you will have that chocolate after effect.

This effect is more noticeable when you use more chocolate than other ingredients. The only way you can get rid of this after effect is adding something else to the batter, like peanut butter, marshmallows, bits of fruit, or something of that sort.

If you use carob powder, you should cut down on the sugar because even though carob tastes like milk chocolate, it isn't strong like chocolate and does not need much sweetener. You may have to also adjust the butter/oil ratio as well, as carob can be a bit on the dry side.

Reaction score
Dry for me means overbaked (either time or temperature or both) or insufficient liquid or fat.

Try incrementally changing one ingredient at a time: fat, oil and eggs.

Try incrementally changing one baking variable at a time: temperature, time, and batter depth (deeper batter = crispier top, fudgier insides)

Try using chocolate in another form, for example chocolate bar (Ghirardelli), finely chopped. Either in place of, or in addition to, the cocoa powder.

Reaction score
without seeing your recipe we can't have an intelligent analysis.

Are you using cocoa powder, ?
melted semi sweet chocolate.?
melted unsweetened pure choc liquor?

Do you use the batter method or sponge method?
Dissolve the sugar first ?
Melt the butter ?

What ?

Ask a Question