Reducing Sugar

Reaction score
I do not like really sweet things all that much in general, and I am really trying to stay on a very low sugar diet. Whenever I need to bake a cake for a special occasion, I do not want to put in the typical amount of sugar, which is equal to or sometimes greater than the amount of flour. I want to cut it back quite a bit so it isn't SO bad for everyone's blood sugar to have a decent sized piece.

Has anyone else done this? What kind of reviews did you get from the people who ate the cake? Did they notice that much?

Reaction score
We had some members of our family and relatives who are diabetic so eating sweets should be in control or in a minimal amount only. That is why when we are cooking or baking for a family gathering or an occasion that needs the use of something sweet we always lessen the use of sugar or any other forms of sweeteners. And there is no problem with regards to this and even the kids it is just okay for them if it is not that sweet and they are already immune to that kind of taste.

Reaction score
I have found that they either don't notice or don't comment. More often the don't notice and I simply slowly reduce the amount of sugar in a recipe I make frequently until I have found the level where I consider it to be too low. Then next time round I will up it slightly to see if I have the right level for my tastes. I just judge it that way and remember. So scones that I make are meant to have 2oz of sugar per 8oz of flour. I have found that 1oz is way too low and more like bread than a scone mixture, but 1.5oz is about right if a sweet fruit or chocolate chips are also going in. If they are plain scones then it needs to have slightly more in.

Reaction score
That's good to know. I would hate to make something nobody likes because it isn't "like cake" to them, but if people don't notice when you just reduce the sugar, that's good. Why should we be wasting so much of it in the first place when it is so bad for our health?

Reaction score
I have found that they either don't notice or don't comment. More often the don't notice and I simply slowly reduce the amount of sugar in a recipe I make frequently until I have found the level where I consider it to be too low. Then next time round I will up it slightly to see if I have the right level for my tastes. I just judge it that way and remember. So scones that I make are meant to have 2oz of sugar per 8oz of flour. I have found that 1oz is way too low and more like bread than a scone mixture, but 1.5oz is about right if a sweet fruit or chocolate chips are also going in. If they are plain scones then it needs to have slightly more in.

I like this strategy - sometimes I guess the level of sugar we are used to just has to be slowly weaned down! I feel like if it's a gradual progression no one really does notice!

Reaction score
I personally like the use of apple sauce instead of using sugar in certain recipes, so I only had to add a little, sometimes none... depending on whether or not I have a decent Stevia sweetener (one without additives). I love sweet stuff but I am on the verge of becoming diabetic, so finding a decent stevia sweetener in the place where I'll live is a must!

Reaction score
What if you put like sugar substitutes? I know there are some sugar substitutes are made for low glycemic and isn't as sweet as your conventional sugar. Also look into using coconut sugar; it's a little pricer than regular sugar but it's way better for you than regular refined sugar.

Reaction score
Why should we be wasting so much of it in the first place when it is so bad for our health?
Technically, sugar isn't bad for our health. Sugar comes from a plant. It's the over consumption of sugar (depending on one's needs) that's the problem.

Reaction score
What if you put like sugar substitutes? I know there are some sugar substitutes are made for low glycemic and isn't as sweet as your conventional sugar. Also look into using coconut sugar; it's a little pricer than regular sugar but it's way better for you than regular refined sugar.

I hadn't heard about coconut sugar! That is something new for me, I wonder why I hadn't heard about it until now :O I will look into it later, I don't feel so comfy using the regular refined sugar anymore.

Ask a Question