Dry milk powder substitute

Reaction score
Hey, I’m making a bread and the recipe calls for 10 g (2/3 tbsp) of dry milk powder and 260 g (1 1/4 cups) of milk. I don’t have any dried milk powder and it’s not been sold near me. What can I substitute the dried milk powder with?
Thank you :)

Reaction score
Hey, I’m making a bread and the recipe calls for 10 g (2/3 tbsp) of dry milk powder and 260 g (1 1/4 cups) of milk. I don’t have any dried milk powder and it’s not been sold near me. What can I substitute the dried milk powder with?
Thank you :)

Don’t worry about the dry milk powder. Use of retail store dry milk powder in homemade bread is totally useless. It is no different than adding fresh milk.

The dry milk powder used in commercial baking is high treated at 190°F for 30 minutes. It is treated at high temperatures to change its emulsification properties while destroying certain enzymes that affect yeast development. This type of dry milk powder is used as an emulsifier to create better texture, rise and structural stability in baked goods.

The milk powder that sold in the grocery store is meant for drinking, it is treated at lower temperatures, 160°F for two minutes. It has no emulsification properties and as with all milk, contains the natural enzyme that interferes with yeast development.

In 2010, a woman in Australia named Christine printed a recipe for Hokkaido Milk bread. She is Asian an had adapted a recipe from an Asian food blog, and since she did not know what one of ingredients was, she referred to it as “a kind of natural milk essence“, she arbitrarily replaced that ingredient with 9g of full cream milk powder.

When people copied her recipe, they substituted with just “dry milk powder”. A few people noted that milk powder is a listed ingredient on many baked goods, And touted its used as an emulsifier. The problem is they did not distinguish between high temperature dry milk powder and low temperature dry milk powder.

So there’s a lot of recipes out there using retail milk powder that are a total waste of effort and money since it has no benefit what so ever.

If you are in the US, you can purchase high temperature treated milk powder in small quantities from King Arthur Flour website.

But you don’t even need it. This is my “Hokkaido Milk” bread loaf and I Christine’s original recipe somewhat modified to my liking over the years, and I don’t use any milk dry powder.

503F7170-678F-460D-BA6A-DEA3EE9F2027.jpeg

Do you can order high temperature dry milk powder here if you are interested

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/bakers-special-dry-milk-16-oz

Reaction score
Don’t worry about the dry milk powder. Use of retail store dry milk powder in homemade bread is totally useless. It is no different than adding fresh milk.

The dry milk powder used in commercial baking is high treated at 190°F for 30 minutes. It is treated at high temperatures to change its emulsification properties while destroying certain enzymes that affect yeast development. This type of dry milk powder is used as an emulsifier to create better texture, rise and structural stability in baked goods.

The milk powder that sold in the grocery store is meant for drinking, it is treated at lower temperatures, 160°F for two minutes. It has no emulsification properties and as with all milk, contains the natural enzyme that interferes with yeast development.

In 2010, a woman in Australia named Christine printed a recipe for Hokkaido Milk bread. She is Asian an had adapted a recipe from an Asian food blog, and since she did not know what one of ingredients was, she referred to it as “a kind of natural milk essence“, she arbitrarily replaced that ingredient with 9g of full cream milk powder.

When people copied her recipe, they substituted with just “dry milk powder”. A few people noted that milk powder is a listed ingredient on many baked goods, And touted its used as an emulsifier. The problem is they did not distinguish between high temperature dry milk powder and low temperature dry milk powder.

So there’s a lot of recipes out there using retail milk powder that are a total waste of effort and money since it has no benefit what so ever.

If you are in the US, you can purchase high temperature treated milk powder in small quantities from King Arthur Flour website.

But you don’t even need it. This is my “Hokkaido Milk” bread loaf and I Christine’s original recipe somewhat modified to my liking over the years, and I don’t use any milk dry powder.

View attachment 2518

Do you can order high temperature dry milk powder here if you are interested

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/bakers-special-dry-milk-16-oz
Wow! Thank you for the great explanation!
Your bread looks amazing

Ask a Question