Rollable Cake Batter???

Reaction score
Ok... I am new here and have a question I hope someone can answer or give me some guidance. Is there any way to make or transform a cake recipe into a stiffer rollable dough instead of the thin batter. I have a delicious buttermilk pound cake recipe that I would like to use to make some sweet potato tarts for Thanksgiving. My idea is to use a mini loaf pan and line each loaf compartment with a "cake" liner that has been rolled out and cut into rectangles and then fill with sweet potato pie filling.

Help???

Signed... Man on a Mission!

Reaction score
Maybe try to cross a cake recipe with a bread dough recipe. Not really sure about the yeast because I've never made a cake from scratch, but if you add what makes you're buttermilk pound cake different from normal bread (sugar, buttermilk, ext.) then it should end up as a rollable dough, as for how cake-like it'll taste that'd probably need experimentation.
Another alternative is to make the cake batter normally, or perhaps a touch thick if its runny, and use a second pan as a mold and just barely cook the cake enough to allow you to fill with a half precooked tart filling.
Not sure what recipe would be best to use as a variation of bread. Brioche is already a sweet bread, so perhaps that's a good place to start? But I'll look a little more into it.

Last edited:

Ask a Question