Rough-puff and a twist of sausage rolls

Reaction score
Rough-puff is probably my favourite pastry and so rewarding to make: it might be a less wealthy relative of puff pastry but it is so easy and highly effective.

Perfect used for sausage rolls made with a little chorizo and fennel seeds among the sausagemeat.

Full details ond tips on rough-puff and other laminated pastries at:

https://bakingfanatic.wordpress.com/2016/02/08/rough-puff-pastry-other-laminated-doughs/

chorizo-fennel-sausage-rolls.jpg

Reaction score
Delicious! They make those a lot in the Netherlands and I totally loved them! I am not that into sausages, but those changed my mind completely ;) I sometimes have one for lunch :)

Reaction score
i thought they were hot dogs or sausages wrapped in a biscuit dough ?

oh have you ever used those little smoked sausages from Oscar Meyers in a crock pot ? use a bottle of Kraft BBQ Sauce,I like the Original Flavored one and a can of cranberry sauce,the one you use for Thanksgiving :)

then cook them in a crock pot for around 4 hours I think,8 for a slow cook,I'm not sure about those times at all,but they sound about right

they make a quick and easy snack for a crowd,throw in one of those veggie trays with some dip and you sports ready for game day :)

hmmm my post is way off topic it seems :)

Reaction score
Oh yum, sausage rolls! When I grew up in Australia these were one of my favorite snacks as a kid. I can't believe I haven't recreated them as an adult! Even thinking about them now has got me feeling hungry!

Reaction score
i thought they were hot dogs or sausages wrapped in a biscuit dough ?

oh have you ever used those little smoked sausages from Oscar Meyers in a crock pot ? use a bottle of Kraft BBQ Sauce,I like the Original Flavored one and a can of cranberry sauce,the one you use for Thanksgiving :)

then cook them in a crock pot for around 4 hours I think,8 for a slow cook,I'm not sure about those times at all,but they sound about right

they make a quick and easy snack for a crowd,throw in one of those veggie trays with some dip and you sports ready for game day :)

hmmm my post is way off topic it seems :)

LOL, you are correct JM. See my above post.

The small sausages baked into small buns are usually called Kolaches (coh-lah-cheez) and can usually be found in donut shops and pastry shops. These are usually for a quick eat in the morning with your coffee.

Pigs in blankets are larger and can have larger pieces of meat in them and be filled with more than just a sausage or wiener....and are usually for lunch or dinner.

And I've had those little mini-sausages before, cooked like how you described, but the guy put grape jelly in his BBQ sauce instead of cranberry! But I think I would like cranberry better!

Reaction score
Actually, "pigs in blankets" here in the Southern states of the US are these...

Take a sausage, hot link, or wiener and wrap a piece of cooked bacon around it, and then wrap a slice of cheese around that, then wrap your favorite kind of dough around that, and then bake it.

Ah, another food that gets lost in translation. Here in the UK pigs in blankets are just mini sausages wrapped in streaky bacon, and we would only usually have them with a roast dinner at Christmas. I like the sound of the US version better!! :D

Reaction score
I've never had them with grape jelly Chester,the cranberry is great or so i think so anyway

were they wrapped in a biscuit dough Becky ? if you haven't tried them you need to lol i haven't seen anybody make any in a long time and i think there is a difference in bacon too

Reaction score
I've never had them with grape jelly Chester,the cranberry is great or so i think so anyway

were they wrapped in a biscuit dough Becky ? if you haven't tried them you need to lol i haven't seen anybody make any in a long time and i think there is a difference in bacon too

I made some for a friends father thats in the nursing home. He's been sick for almost a year and finally getting better, but he's lost a lot of weight. He doesn't like that industrial kitchen food they serve, so he's not eating like he is supposed too.

I made him a batch of American pigs in blankets, and he scarfed them all down! They were huge too! I got a package of those jumbo weenies, used turkey bacon, and some nice light cheddar cheese slices, and wrapped them in that croissant roll bread stuff. He loved them.

I need to make him another batch soon. Probably after I move, I might be in the mood for cooking and baking again. Right now, I'm dreading moving.

Ask a Question