Roughly, how many carrots does it take to make 2 cups worth of grated carrots?

Reaction score
I had planned on making a carrot cake last Friday. On Wednesday, my mom was making some tomato soup so she grated up the left over carrots and made about three cups worth.

Life happened and, I didn't get a chance to make the cake as planned. The earliest I'll be able to make the cake now, is Wednesday. I'm sure the carrots my mom grated won't last that long, as they're already starting to look a bit slimy.

We're done making soup and we don't eat regular carrots, so I just want to buy enough carrots to make the cake. So, roughly, how many carrots will I need to get 2 cups worth of grated carrots?

Reaction score
Are you able to buy them individually? Our grocery stores usually only sell them by the bunch. One small bag of them, or one bunch of them should be more than enough to get you two cups of grated carrot. I would say roughly two large carrots will easily give you two cups. Do you know anyone that can give you a couple, perhaps they have some extra in their fridge they aren't going to use.

As for the ones you already have grated, as long as they don't smell bad or look too bad, you might be abler to salvage them by rinsing them off in a colander, then storing them in the freezer until you are ready to use them. Carrots usually last quite a while in our fridge before they really go bad. And when they do go bad, it's often that they dry out instead.

Reaction score
Yes, we can buy our carrots individually. Normally, the ones in the bags look pretty cruddy so I prefer to pick my own. I ended up buying four or five medium sized ones. If I have any extra I can figure out some use for them. Really, I could shred them and freeze them for the next carrot cake craving I get.

The carrots just look mushy. Mom said they didn't smell bad so I will rinse them off. Really, they just look mushy. I just don't want them to taste bad, you know? It's not like they're not being cooked.

Reaction score
I would say that about a half of pound of carrots grated would be enough to do what you are needing to do. However, I can't tell you exactly how many carrots that would be.

Me, I just buy the little baby carrots and we will eat the rest of them that aren't going into the current project that we were working on.

Reaction score
Well, it really depends on the size of the carrots, if the carrots are big enough I'd say that 3 carrots should be enough, but if they're small or medium, probably 6 would be a safer bet. By the way, I don't recommend you to use a lot carrot for your cake, specially if you'll be adding pecans and pineapple as well.

Reaction score
I had planned on making a carrot cake last Friday. On Wednesday, my mom was making some tomato soup so she grated up the left over carrots and made about three cups worth.

Life happened and, I didn't get a chance to make the cake as planned. The earliest I'll be able to make the cake now, is Wednesday. I'm sure the carrots my mom grated won't last that long, as they're already starting to look a bit slimy.

We're done making soup and we don't eat regular carrots, so I just want to buy enough carrots to make the cake. So, roughly, how many carrots will I need to get 2 cups worth of grated carrots?

you could have frozen the shredded carrots. Thawed for an hour or over night in frige,
add to batter.

Ask a Question