Royal icing for beginners...

Reaction score
Hey everyone! 🙂

I need your help! My mom passed away and it is a religious custom in my country to make "koliva", a sort of sweet wheat dish that is usually covered in either icing sugar or fondant and then decorated (usually with the name of the deceased, a cross, and flowers).

So, on top of the koliva, I want to write my mom's name with royal icing. The letters are sold on the market (see photo) but I don't like the design of the ones that are sold, so I made a beautiful design on my computer and want to do that.

Now for my question... In order for my letters to become thick enough so that they don't break easily, I think I need to use a quite a few royal icing layers. How long should I wait before adding each layer and how many layers do you think I will need?

grammata-gia-diskous-mnhmosynou-a-new2-1024x1024.jpg

Reaction score
Hey everyone! 🙂

I need your help! My mom passed away and it is a religious custom in my country to make "koliva", a sort of sweet wheat dish that is usually covered in either icing sugar or fondant and then decorated (usually with the name of the deceased, a cross, and flowers).

So, on top of the koliva, I want to write my mom's name with royal icing. The letters are sold on the market (see photo) but I don't like the design of the ones that are sold, so I made a beautiful design on my computer and want to do that.

Now for my question... In order for my letters to become thick enough so that they don't break easily, I think I need to use a quite a few royal icing layers. How long should I wait before adding each layer and how many layers do you think I will need?

View attachment 4869

My condolences for the loss of your mother.

Absent a base like a cookie, royal icing may not be the best material to create letters.

I would recommend gum paste or Mexican paste. Both can be rolled thin, dry firm, and hold their shape. Mexican paste holds it shape a little better.

Info on Mexican paste

Last edited:

Ask a Question