Scared to Bake With Children?

Reaction score
Okay, so I am terrified to start showing my boy how to bake, most people would say "why hes a boy?", but hey, there needs to be more men in the world that can bake and/or cook for their lady. I want my son to be one of those men someday.......when hes 30 of course! Just some humor, but my problem lies behind a few factors! Number one, I'm not sure I can handle the mess, number two, I'm scared if I look away one second he will hurt himself, and number three, well,... i am a perfectionist!! I really want him to learn but I freak out if its not done the right way. What do you guys struggle with?

Reaction score
I have a certain way to cook too and it was very hard for me to have people in my kitchen while I am baking, But......I love baking with my daughter. It is fun and always an adventure. I had to get over the fact that I wipe down my counters at least a million times throughout my baking process and just go with it. I started teaching her little things at first and she caught on. Have your son measure out things or add things to the mixture at first, and teach him the basic rules to be safe while he is baking. Let me tell you from a woman's point of view there is nothing sexier than a man in the kitchen so get him going now!!;)

Reaction score
My younger sister got into baking around the age of nine and loves it! Having your son help you measure and mix (and taste, of course!) is a good way to get him started. It'll also give you a good idea of whether or not he's ready to start doing simple recipes on his own. Cookies are always a good starting point. Best of luck!

Reaction score
Let him do his own small batch of whatever it is you are making along side yours - that way you aren't wasting a whole bunch of ingredients if he gets something wrong - and he can see how it's supposed to come out when he sees your batch along side his. That's kind of how I would make cookies with my mom, if she would be baking some chocolate chip cookies, I would make my own batch of some other kind like peanut butter. There were a few times I screwed something up along the way and they would come out all flat and stuck together - that's when I started learning that I was getting ingredients like baking soda and baking powder mixed up, and using tablespoons for teaspoons and stuff like that.

Ask a Question