So....What Did You Make For The Holidays?

Reaction score
the ideal cooking temperature in a smoker is 225 degrees Fahrenheit,but I've been having problems on getting the internal temperature up to 165 for a ham,that is why I'm going to try a Texas Crutch on the next one and all a Texas Crutch is to wrap the piece of meat in foil,when it gets to the stall temperature and let it cook from there,supposedly it will help get the temp up faster and save some juices,I will find out :)

I've usually have to take it off the smoker after 8 to 10 hours of smoking and finish them off in the oven and they look like a burnt piece of cinder,but they taste really great ,if the Texas Crutch works in the smoker I will add some when it hits 160 degrees Fahrenheit or add some when it goes in the oven,that is usually pretty quick baking time to get it up to temp in the oven

thanks for the help :)

Reaction score
you will need to make sure any bag or container is rated as Food Quality is the problem,that is where it starts costing more money

Reaction score
you will need to make sure any bag or container is rated as Food Quality is the problem,that is where it starts costing more money

Well, my family is country folk. I'm talking redneck here.....

My momma baked turkey in paper grocery store bags, and pretty much everybody else in the family used any kind of clean plastic bag for all sorts of food uses.

But thats up to each person.

Reaction score
I missed quite a bit. Was busy at work for the holidays and then I traveled. While I don't celebrate the holidays, I did bake a ham on Boxing day and cooked both XMAS. It wasn't the traditional XMAS meal as people in these parts cook up a storm. I baked my easy banana cake on one of days off but the sweet ants got and it and I lost a lot of it.

Ask a Question