Source For Long Coarse Thread Coconut

Reaction score
My Dad and Mom owned bakery 1935-1965. I helped in the shop in the 1950's.

I'm having trouble finding an ingredient he used. It is coarse long-thread coconut. I believe it may have been moist and sweetened. He used it as an ingredient in a crunch formula. Here's the formula:

AmountUnitsIngredient
12​
lbscoconut
12​
lbsnuts
7​
lbspowdered sugar
1.5​
quartseggs
1​
ozsalt

I still remember that it was baked in a slow oven (early afternoon) until it was dry, then broken up and run through the "hamburger grinder" on the Hobart bench mixer.

I liked it before it was ground. I'd like to make 'logs' and coat them with dark chocolate.

Today all I manage to find on the Web is very fine thread.

Does anyone know of a source of coconut like I describe?

thanks
baumgrenze

Reaction score
Try preparing it from fresh coconut and shredding it yourself with a box grater, food processor or microplane.

Reaction score
For the time being, I found a product at the Charlottesville Trader Joes that worked fine enough for me. Add and beat in the beaten egg to the powder sugar a little at a time to the the sugar does not clump, then add the lightly chopped nuts, then finally the coconut. Here's what I did:

Scaled down to 8 oz coconut
AmountUnitsIngredient
8​
ozcoconut (1 pkg from TJ - an appropriate looking product)
8​
oznuts
4.7​
ozpowdered sugar
0.25​
cupseggs (or 1 egg)
1.2​
gramssalt
+ 1/4 t coffee, VRR*, 2 drops lavender paste *vanilla-rum-rose, a mixture of decent vanilla, a flavorful rum, and 2 drops of rose water - this is the flavor that smells and tastes like bakery.

250 oven - bake until it colors lightly and smells irresistable

Blend the egg with a whisk, add slowly to the powder sugar, add the salt, then the flavorings. The nuts should be roughly chopped (< half a nut pieces) then hand mixed with a stirring tool until finally mixed. The last ingredient is the coconut as it is fragile.

Bars for chocolate can be shaped with 2 small poly hand scrapers (one curve on a small rectangle) on parchment.

The remaining mix is spread out evenly on parchment on a baking pan and placed in an oven at 250F or perhaps less. This mix browned significantly in 90 minutes. The resulting product was crisp but still 'moist' when ground with the KA5 meat grinder on the C-100 Hobart. It would probably benefit from being tossed once or twice while drying .

This made 10 small bars and 13.9 oz of ground crunch.

Ask a Question