Spring rolls batter

Reaction score
Hello,

My friends say when cornflour is added to make spring roll batter, the wrappers come out crispy, even long after frying. Is there any any science behind this.

It's difficult to believe because I know making the wrappers thin, the oil being hot enough, frying it frozen, the wrappers being moist, the filling not being wet and other factors will definitely make it crispy. Spring Rolls is to be eaten hot with or without cornflour in the batter. Once cold, the crispness will be lost.

What do you guys think?

Reaction score
Hello,

My friends say when cornflour is added to make spring roll batter, the wrappers come out crispy, even long after frying. Is there any any science behind this.

It's difficult to believe because I know making the wrappers thin, the oil being hot enough, frying it frozen, the wrappers being moist, the filling not being wet and other factors will definitely make it crispy. Spring Rolls is to be eaten hot with or without cornflour in the batter. Once cold, the crispness will be lost.

What do you guys think?

I wish I could help you Akos, but I’ve never made my own spring roll wrappers. I buy the Japanese gyoza wrappers for dumplings and the Filipino lumpia wrapper for spring rolls. I absolutely love the Filipino lumpia wrapper because it’s is so thin. So it fries up light and very crispy. It is so superior to the Chinese eggroll wrapper which fries up tough and turns soggy fast.

Likewise I use the Japanese gyoza wrapper for dumplings as it is much thinner than the Chinese wonton wrappers. The Japanese gyoza dumpling is fried and steamed. The bottom of the dumpling is nice and crispy. And the soft is nice and tender. If I use Chinese wonton wrappers the dumplings are tough.

So for me it’s about the thickness of the wrapper. The thinner the better for a crispy exterior that stays crispy longer.

Since I cannot eat gluten when I make rolls for myself I have to use the rice paper wrapper. And they fry up horribly. There are paper thin, but don’t fry well at all. Every time I make them with rice paper I am beyond disappointed.

Reaction score
Hello @Norcalbaker59. It's good you're back on the forum.

Here in Ghana, we make our own spring roll wrappers with pastry flour. I also do and it comes out nice. My wrappers are thin. However, I wasn't taught to add cornflour so I don't. However, some colleague bakers do add flour hence my question.

Thanks for the information the Asian wrappers.

Reaction score
Hello @Norcalbaker59. It's good you're back on the forum.

Here in Ghana, we make our own spring roll wrappers with pastry flour. I also do and it comes out nice. My wrappers are thin. However, I wasn't taught to add cornflour so I don't. However, some colleague bakers do add flour hence my question.

Thanks for the information the Asian wrappers.

Thanks Akos, It’s good to be back:)

Ask a Question