Starting her young!

Reaction score
I've recently started baking with my 2 year old and I'm loving it! She loves to stir so that's usually her task :) We made cookies the other day and while it was messy we really did have a great time. How young we're your little ones when you started baking with them?

Reaction score
That is so sweet. My 3 year old will sit and watch and sometimes he will participate in the mixing bit. I also let him help "wash" dishes too while we are waiting on the desserts to come out of the oven. He really likes this. LOL now if only he would continue to grow up and still like washing the dishes!

Reaction score
Haha hopefully he keeps liking washing dishes! It would be great to have a little helper than helps with clean up! I hope as my son gets older he wants to help in the kitchen as much as my daughter does.

Reaction score
That sounds like a nice experience.:) Wow, two is young but if even at that age she can help out then I think it's great.

Reaction score
That is adorable. I didn't really start my daughter off in the kitchen until she was 10 because the apartment I had when she was a baby had a small kitchen and I was afraid of her getting hurt.

Reaction score
Cookies are the best for little kids to learn on; fun, sweet, easy and quick to make, and you can play with shapes and decoration! :D

Reaction score
Mine have been baking since they could hold a spoon. At first it was just hitting the bowl with it lol.. then eventually flinging the contents and then on to actually stirring and pouring in ingredients lol.

Reaction score
I've recently started baking with my 2 year old and I'm loving it! She loves to stir so that's usually her task :) We made cookies the other day and while it was messy we really did have a great time. How young we're your little ones when you started baking with them?

I'd start at 5 with my own, with my nieces we started baking together when they were 8 or 9. They started younger helping their mom :) I'll start mine even younger :) I think the younger the better, but never too young... because if they start too young they might not appreciate it that much and end up making a mess.

Reaction score
That's adorable- and what great memories for you both! My boys were around the same age when we started, like you, simple tasks at first. Stirring, taste testing, mess making. Then we moved up to them helping to pick the recipes and helping with the shopping and preparation, learning to measure, etc. It's a lot of fun and as long as you're doing age appropriate tasks it's something that can really grow their confidence in the kitchen in safe ways :)

Reaction score
My little girl was a busy body from a very tender age and as such it was just impossible to keep her out of the kitchen.I had was to be constantly watching her so as to keep her out of dangers way...all on all it was a good experience as we never really had any serious accidents.

Reaction score
Two? That's amazing. I always get a little anxious when I see kids that young around the kitchen. I guess this is a fine example that with proper supervision you can really teach your little ones from as early as two. I realized that this original post was made more than a year ago. I am guessing the little one is close to baking her own cake.

Ask a Question