Substituting rum for liquid?

Reaction score
Hey there...
I'm planning on making a cake as a surprise for my partner. I have some liquid egg whites (the kind that comes in the carton) that needs to be used up, so I'm thinking an Angelfood cake. I also have some Captain Morgan Spiced Rum that I am considering substituting for the water in the recipe, but not sure how that would fare because a) the alcohol would evaporate during the cooking, and b) this is an Angelfood cake, so the density is ALREADY different from most cakes. Thoughts? Maybe I should put the rum in a whipped cream frosting instead? Or would the alcohol just curdle the dairy?

Reaction score
This might have been something that I would kept around in my younger days, and it sounds like it is really a good way to spice things up a bit, and relatively easy as well. I do not really drink that much anymore though, so anything alcoholic I like to leave out.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! :)

How much rum are we talking about here? It's a myth that cooking/baking removes all the alcohol - some will evaporate, same as water, but the amount depends largely on how long you cook it for. You need to cook something for hours to remove a large amount of the alcohol, and even then there may be 10-20% left.

Reaction score
I've actually experimented with using alcohol before, but I thought it turned out pretty much the same as when I hadn't used alcohol. I don't know if I didn't use enough, but I couldn't taste or smell it in the cake. I don't know what the expert bakers here think, but I read about vodka infused whipped cream somewhere so I am guessing that using it in the whipped cream frosting would work.

Reaction score
I don't think it is a good idea to use rum in place of water. It might ruin the taste of your angel cake. But if you are the adventurous type, maybe a tablespoon of rum would do for an experiment.

Just for a lesson, my husband loves fruit cake which comes around during the Christmas season. For him, the fruit cake is another symbol of Christmas so he always buy. And he relishes the rum that goes with it. But one time he bought a fruit cake with lots of rum maybe that he almost fell asleep while driving the car.

Reaction score
I wouldn't replace the rum with water dude, for real, you definitely have to keep the rum on the recipe and make it with that, don't you add any water otherwise the taste is going to be affected and whatnot.

Reaction score
I guess there are a lot of differing opinions on this thread. I would suggest that you go ahead and experiment. Some of the really great recipes out there were discovered by accident. You never know what you might end up with...

Ask a Question