Substituting sugar for stevia

Reaction score
Hey baking friends, I'm looking to bake some sugar-free stuff and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience baking with stevia. How does it impact the flavor? Consistency? It says on the jar that you're supposed to substitute the same amount so it should be fairly easy but I've never tried it so if anyone has any input I'd appreciate it!

Reaction score
I am currently trying to wean my family off white bleached sugar. I am using sugar in the raw, which took a couple days to get used to its flavor. I haven't used Stevia yet, mainly because of the taste.

I think it would turn out fine if it says to use the same amount. You can always try half stevia and half regular sugar until you acquire the taste.

Let us know how it turns out and if there is anything you would do different next time.

Reaction score
I have yet to get around to trying Stevia for myself, but from what I have heard it is a great sugar alternative although has a very acquired taste. I have been trying to wean myself off processed sugar too, and in the process of doing so have felt much better all around. I think increased intake of processed sugars is one of the most detrimental factors to mainstream health, more people should be looking to natural alternatives, I hope to try Stevia myself very soon. In the meantime, raw organic honey is an excellent substitute and is really good for you too.

Reaction score
My friend uses Stevia when baking because she has gotten quite health-conscious after the birth of her twins. I have tried quite a few of cookies she baked using Stevia and although I am not a big fan of Stevia or artificial sweeteners, the cookies did not really taste much different to me. She actually uses a smaller amount of Stevia than the amount of sugar called for in the recipes and I would suggest you do the same actually. Stevia is actually quite sweet and I don't think you would want an overpowering sweetness in your desserts.

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the helpful responses! It seems to be true that Stevia is an acquired taste and also that you don't need quite so much Stevia in a recipe than you need for sugar. I've been trying to find the perfect ration, but I have a feeling it will take quite a lot of trial and error!

Reaction score
I actually just tried Lemon squares made with Stevia last weekend at church and I couldn't tell the difference at all. They were absolutely delicious and couldn't tell at all that real sugar wasn't used. i cook with Splenda often, but after trying those Lemon squares last weekend, I may be converted. :)

Reaction score
My grandma uses Stevia all the time. She likes using it, especially when she's drinking her coffee or tea in the mornings. When we both bake together, we use Stevia in the instead of sugar. Stevia is good, especially if you or someone you know is a diabetic. ;)

Reaction score
I actually just tried Lemon squares made with Stevia last weekend at church and I couldn't tell the difference at all. They were absolutely delicious and couldn't tell at all that real sugar wasn't used. i cook with Splenda often, but after trying those Lemon squares last weekend, I may be converted. :)
Recently, I've decided to start reading up on the differences between Truvia, Splenda and Stevia. I've learned that Truvia and Splenda is not 100% natural compared to Stevia. Stevia is much healthier than any other sweeteners. ;)

Reaction score
I too think that Stevia is the healthiest out of these, however I, myself, am not really a fan of it.
For me, the taste, especially the aftertaste is always a bit too much, it has a sickening sweet bitterness in my experience. Now I'm not saying it might not be placebo-effect since my brother talked very bad about it back a few years, but I actually think its taste is sub-par to other choices.

Reaction score
I have read that stevia is supposed to be the safest of the non sugar sweeteners, but the ones that I have tried, at least in my coffee, left a bad taste in my mouth, and I did not like it at all. It might be better if you use it in baking, and I still have some packets left, so I might have to try it in cookies and see if it comes out okay there, and better than just used in coffee.

Reaction score
Please do so. As it is, I still have a big dose of Stevia based sweetener, but I really don't want to touch it for anything after my experience with it.
But I'm in the same boat as you, I haven't tried it with anything but drinks; coffee, tea, iced-tea.
Curiously awaiting your experience with cookies.

Ask a Question