"The Reasons Why"

Reaction score
My father was a master baker. He owned 2 copies of a rare book, "The Reasons Why", which explains what went wrong with a cake, and why - when something has gone wrong.

Does the information that a copy of this book might become available arouse any serious interest among the members of this forum?

Reaction score
almost every baking book has a faults section.
but emphasis is always placed in using proven recipes, being trained and doing it correctly.

Reaction score
The availability of a rare book like "The Reasons Why," owned by a master baker and containing insights into cake failures, would likely generate significant interest among forum members. The unique expertise and perspectives shared in the book could be valuable to enthusiasts, bakers, and anyone interested in the intricacies of baking.

Reaction score
That sounds like an incredible book, especially for anyone who loves baking and wants to understand the science behind it. "The Reasons Why" sounds like a treasure trove of knowledge, especially since it’s rare. I can imagine many members of this forum, including myself, would be very interested in getting their hands on a copy. It’s not just about following recipes but really understanding what’s happening in the kitchen. If you do decide to make a copy available, I’m sure there would be serious interest. I’d love to learn more about it!

Reaction score
Wow, “The Reasons Why” sounds like a treasure trove for anyone serious about baking! It’s fascinating to hear that your father had two copies—clearly a highly valued resource in your family. Given how much bakers rely on troubleshooting guides to perfect their craft, I can imagine there would be significant interest in seeing a copy become available. This book seems like it could offer invaluable insights into the nuances of cake baking. If you’re able to share more details or if any copies do become available, I’m sure many members here would love to know more!

Reaction score
I see some interest in a copy of the book, and there's no good reason to keep both copies.
I'm in Northern Queensland, Australia. If you want to contact me about the book, I guess we better start by letting me know on this page and we can figure out how to proceed from there.
Mark

Reaction score
That sounds like a fascinating book, especially for anyone serious about baking! Having a resource that breaks down what went wrong with a cake and why would be invaluable to both beginners and experienced bakers alike. If a copy of "The Reasons Why" became available, I'd definitely be interested—it seems like the kind of book that could take someone's baking to the next level. Would love to learn more about it and see if it’s something that’s still accessible today!

Reaction score
all commercial baking books have comprehensive fault analysis sections.
the trick is never having to use it.
and its not always easy to know why things went south even when you know the possible reasons.

Ask a Question