Thoughts on Savory Pies

Reaction score
When I started making pies, I first made a spinach-feta pie recipe that I used to eat at my favorite bakery. However, since then I have mainly stuck to sweet pies; fruit, pumpkin, chocolate pies. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for savory pies to make?

Any recipes would be of great help too :)

Reaction score
I haven't yet made it, but learned about a French Canadian meat pie called Tourtiere. She also makes a leek and gruyere quiche, and a chicken pot pie.

Reaction score
In America we call them pot pies, and they are one of my favorites!!!

I don't know why, but I love pot pies. Which is funny, because if I'm eating a regular dessert pie, I won't eat the crust, because I don't like it. But on pot pies, the crust is one of my favorite parts! Weird, huh?

I've discovered though, as a "trick" to making savory pies..............if you find a really, REALLY good thick cream sauce or gravy sauce to mix with your meats and veggies, you can mix and match pretty much any and all meats and veggies in a pie.

You have to get that gravy sauce just right though, so it will solidify just a bit, so it doesn't run when cut or bitten into, and won't bleed out when baking.

I usually prefer the cream gravy sauces myself. To me, they go with pretty much anything, and you can do so much with them. The dark gravy sauces or meat flavored ones, they are good too, but always end up making the pie a bit heavy tasting. It's really good though if you are making a steak pie and have a hankering for the taste of a nice steak pie, that dark gravy sauce is awesome.

Reaction score
When I started making pies, I first made a spinach-feta pie recipe that I used to eat at my favorite bakery. However, since then I have mainly stuck to sweet pies; fruit, pumpkin, chocolate pies. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for savory pies to make?

I’ve been eating a lot of пироги lately! I think the English phonetic spelling is pirogi. The dough is really very nice, and I love the fillings Russians use (cabbage, meat, green onion with egg). The sweet pies are delicious as well, especially lemon and lingonberry!

I haven’t tried this recipe, but I think it’s a good starting point.

https://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/russian-beef-pie

Hope that helps!

Reaction score
I’ve been eating a lot of пироги lately! I think the English phonetic spelling is pirogi. The dough is really very nice, and I love the fillings Russians use (cabbage, meat, green onion with egg). The sweet pies are delicious as well, especially lemon and lingonberry!

I haven’t tried this recipe, but I think it’s a good starting point.

https://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/russian-beef-pie

Hope that helps!

Ahh, we call it piroshki! They absolutely wonderful meat pies. I have a recipe from a Lithuanian woman, the mother of a former co-worker. It’s a small hand pie baked version. In the days before I stopped eating gluten, I frequently ate these for breakfast. I worked a job in which I reported to work at 4 AM. So the piroshki was something I could eat on the run.

I should pull out that recipe out and bake some up for dinner at my sister’s house this weekend.

What we call pirogi, or pierogi are dumplings, either potato or combination of potato and meat. I think it’s Polish. But I know they are flippin delicious!

Reaction score
Ahh, we call it piroshki! They absolutely wonderful meat pies. I have a recipe from a Lithuanian woman, the mother of a former co-worker. It’s a small hand pie baked version. In the days before I stopped eating gluten, I frequently ate these for breakfast. I worked a job in which I reported to work at 4 AM. So the piroshki was something I could eat on the run.

I should pull out that recipe out and bake some up for dinner at my sister’s house this weekend.

What we call pirogi, or pierogi are dumplings, either potato or combination of potato and meat. I think it’s Polish. But I know they are flippin delicious!
Jeez, 4 AM? That is dedication.

I really like plemeni and vareniki very much! I would love to learn how to make pirogi. At the local pirogi shops here, the bakers are really decorative with the crust. Apparently the recipe for the dough is a big secret from shop to shop. It's so delicious; I wish someone would give up the damn goods! lol
pirog-s-brusnikoy.png
pirog-s-kapustoy.png.jpg

Yes, please try the Lithuanian recipe and let us know how it goes! :)

Reaction score

I really like plemeni and vareniki very much! I would love to learn how to make pirogi. At the local pirogi shops here, the bakers are really decorative with the crust. Apparently the recipe for the dough is a big secret from shop to shop. It's so delicious; I wish someone would give up the damn goods! lol
View attachment 1435 View attachment 1436

Lol. I think the time stamp is based on UK time. I’m in the US, so 8 hours earlier. Well I guess 7 hours earlier since we just went to day light savings time.

These crusts are beautiful! I’ll have to research how this is made. I love this kind of baking—blending art and food.

Reaction score

Cheese and potato pie.
steak and kidney pie.
cheese and onion pie. (turnover really)
pork pie.
steak and kidney pudding ( steamed pie).
steak and ale pie.
cornish pasty.
cottage pie.

Reaction score

View attachment 1435 View attachment 1436

That's baked pierogi? I want the recipe o_O I can't find it. What do I google please?

Ask a Question