Tips for Crispy Almond Flour Biscotti

Reaction score
Help!
I am having a horrible time making biscotti. They are coming out great in taste and texture- except no matter what I do I can't get them crispy. I have tried almost everything. Any suggestions?

Here is the original recipe and alternatives I have tried:

Ingredients
375g almond flour (I am using fine, not extra-fine).
1½ cup almonds
3/4 cup sugar substitute (truvia or splenda)
2 ¼ tsp baking powder
2x pinch of sea salt
3 eggs
1 tablespoon almond extract

Cook at 350 for 15 minutes (original recipe calls for 25-30 minutes but they burn).
Cool completely
Re-heat at 350 for 10-15 minutes.

I have tried these various alternatives separately:
1) Adding 300g of almond flour instead of 375g but keeping the 3 eggs in the recipe
2) Adding 1 1/2 tablespoon of tapioca flour
3) Cooling in the refrigerator and then re-heating at 250 for 15-20 minutes

In the recipe someone also complained about lack of crispiness and she attacked her problem by adding water. That doesn't sound right to me as you want the mixture drier in order to crisp up, no? Still, I tried her approach with #1, by using less almond flour and keeping the 3 eggs (to no avail).

So the only other option left for me, unless someone here has some idea, is to keep the 375g flour but reduce the eggs to 2.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Reaction score
Is there a reason for the almond flour and artificial sweetener? I’m known as the Biscotti Queen among my family and friends. So I bake a lot of biscotti, especially during the holidays I can tell you almond
flour is problematic if you need a crunchy texture because of the oil and water in the nut.

you can try using just eggs whites since the yolk has fat in it.

The almonds could also be the problem. Not all almonds are created equal. I usually buy my almonds at Trader Joe’s. Normally I purchase organic. But I can’t use the organic almonds at Trader Joe’s because they have too much moisture in them. They bake up too soft in the cookie. I tried using them in a batch of chocolate chip cookies and ruined the entire batch.

Reaction score
Is there a reason for the almond flour and artificial sweetener? I’m known as the Biscotti Queen among my family and friends. So I bake a lot of biscotti, especially during the holidays I can tell you almond
flour is problematic if you need a crunchy texture because of the oil and water in the nut.

you can try using just eggs whites since the yolk has fat in it.

The almonds could also be the problem. Not all almonds are created equal. I usually buy my almonds at Trader Joe’s. Normally I purchase organic. But I can’t use the organic almonds at Trader Joe’s because they have too much moisture in them. They bake up too soft in the cookie. I tried using them in a batch of chocolate chip cookies and ruined the entire batch.

It's a keto recipe that's why there is artificial sugar. The strange thing about this recipe is that 95% of the replies have commented how much they like it and how crunchy it is, so I am pretty sure I am doing something wrong though I follow the recipe exactly (I have 3x the original quantities but I don't think that should affect it).

I finally got a reply from the original author yesterday and she also said only use egg whites like you have said. So next time I make it (this weekend probably I will try that). It's a great recipe in terms of taste, etc if I could only get the crunchiness. Thanks a lot for your suggestion.

Ask a Question