Tips for First-Time Cookie Bakers Without Parchment Paper

Reaction score
hello. i have never baked cookies in my life. in my country i don't know where to get the parchment paper (is that correct? the paper you put on the tray to place the cookie dough on) i'm not even sure if it is available D:
so is it possible to make cookies without the paper? is there a replacement?
and what are the things i should keep in mind if i ever make cookies?
i have lots of recipes in my cakes and bakes recipe book so that's all sorted :)

thank you :D
-anya

Reaction score
Anya, I am not the most experienced person here but I have only recently tried quite a few cookies and never used parchment paper. I am sure I might find it if I search and I intend to: it's just that right now it's not a priority for me. I had some very minor issues with my surface when I bake mine, but for the most part I can't say I missed having the paper. So please don't let that stop you from trying to bake some cookies. See the link below.

http://www.bhg.com/advice/food/baking/can-i-use-nonstick-baking-spray-instead-of-parchment-paper/

Reaction score
Hi there, Anya! You can use wax paper too... I personally never use that kind of paper. I work the dough for my cookies in a clean surface, I then add a bit flour to it (just enough to cover it a bit) then I cut them right there. Some cookies require you to just use a spoon and grab some batter then place it on the baking tray tho, those are way easier. Sometimes I don't even use cutters and just shape them with my hands (for dry cookies), but again it really depends on hat kind of cookies you are making.

Mind telling us what kind of cookies you want to prepare?

Reaction score
I've only recently discovered how cool parchment paper is for cookies. They slide right off! My first time using it I was literally amazed...and a bit ashamed to admit that. However...before my introduction to the amazing world of parchment paper, I simply used non stick cookie sheets and depending on the amount of butter, a non stick spray and my cookies were fine. The only true difference I can find is the amount or ease of cleanup after.

Reaction score
Anya, I am not the most experienced person here but I have only recently tried quite a few cookies and never used parchment paper. I am sure I might find it if I search and I intend to: it's just that right now it's not a priority for me. I had some very minor issues with my surface when I bake mine, but for the most part I can't say I missed having the paper. So please don't let that stop you from trying to bake some cookies. See the link below.

http://www.bhg.com/advice/food/baking/can-i-use-nonstick-baking-spray-instead-of-parchment-paper/
alright :D thanks so much. now just have to convince my mom to try and make without parchment paper :))

Hi there, Anya! You can use wax paper too... I personally never use that kind of paper. I work the dough for my cookies in a clean surface, I then add a bit flour to it (just enough to cover it a bit) then I cut them right there. Some cookies require you to just use a spoon and grab some batter then place it on the baking tray tho, those are way easier. Sometimes I don't even use cutters and just shape them with my hands (for dry cookies), but again it really depends on hat kind of cookies you are making.

Mind telling us what kind of cookies you want to prepare?
thank you. i haven't really decided. i have been wanting to bake cookies for a long time i just haven't got the time... school life is busy :p

Reaction score
I've only recently discovered how cool parchment paper is for cookies. They slide right off! My first time using it I was literally amazed...and a bit ashamed to admit that. However...before my introduction to the amazing world of parchment paper, I simply used non stick cookie sheets and depending on the amount of butter, a non stick spray and my cookies were fine. The only true difference I can find is the amount or ease of cleanup after.
aha i would love to try it out now

Reaction score
Well I have to tell you folks I need to find some dollars and go shopping. I'm scared though, as prices can be very high here sometimes. I can't believe I was on the planet this long and never used parchment paper. Yet when you say "A' you have to say "B". I never did this much baking and what I baked never required parchment paper.

Anya, we will try it together.

Reaction score
Well I have to tell you folks I need to find some dollars and go shopping. I'm scared though, as prices can be very high here sometimes. I can't believe I was on the planet this long and never used parchment paper. Yet when you say "A' you have to say "B". I never did this much baking and what I baked never required parchment paper.

Anya, we will try it together.
hehe. sure! i asked some friends of mine and my mom also but no one seems to have seen parchment paper anywhere.

-------

PS: will foil ruin the cookies? im planning to make chunky peanut butter cookies....

Reaction score
As long as you have nice non stick cookie sheets, you really do not need parchment paper. It is only when you have horrible pans and do not want to replace them. Good luck on your cookie making, it is so rewarding!

Reaction score
As long as you have nice non stick cookie sheets, you really do not need parchment paper. It is only when you have horrible pans and do not want to replace them. Good luck on your cookie making, it is so rewarding!

how unfortunate i fell sick with a horrible cold so we couldn't go buy the peanuts we need. :( but i might be making cupcakes instead... i am making these for my aunt who is in bed rest so... i need to make something to cheer her up :)

Reaction score
how unfortunate i fell sick with a horrible cold so we couldn't go buy the peanuts we need. :( but i might be making cupcakes instead... i am making these for my aunt who is in bed rest so... i need to make something to cheer her up :)

Sorry to hear you are under the weather. Wishing you and your aunt improved health. So the peanuts were for a cookie? I am yet to try a muffin. I thought of it last week and spent days trying to find some muffin pans I swore I saw months ago and was surprise I had them. I know the baking has crept into my life and keeps me sort of busy, but I don't think I was dreaming. What muffin are you planning on baking?

Reaction score
Sorry to hear you are under the weather. Wishing you and your aunt improved health. So the peanuts were for a cookie? I am yet to try a muffin. I thought of it last week and spent days trying to find some muffin pans I swore I saw months ago and was surprise I had them. I know the baking has crept into my life and keeps me sort of busy, but I don't think I was dreaming. What muffin are you planning on baking?
i felt worse later on so i didn't make anything. was resting most of the time. if i have time after finishing my homeworks i may bake some cupcakes as i still didn't get any peanuts for the cookies. cookies will have to wait for another week then :)

Reaction score
I've only ever used greaseproof paper and we usually always have some in the house – I think my mum keeps it stocked up. I have to admit I'd never really thought about it before, but there are some interesting options in this thread should I ever have to, Good luck with those cookies :).

Reaction score
I remembered this thread and was wondering if Anya had made the plunge yet with the cookies. I am guessing not as I have seen nothing about success or failure. I am just recently back from Miami and I had a cheap cookie from Walmart that was delicious. Raisin cinnamon and oats cookie I think the name was. I am going to check out some recipes by which time Anya might have something to report.

Ask a Question