Tips for Softening Snickerdoodles

Reaction score
So I have a recipe for snickerdoodles that I really like flavor wise but shortly after cooling they start to harden I have tried refrigerating the dough and I've been trying to find tips to keep the flavor but soften the texture of the cookie without making a completely different recipe

Reaction score
So I have a recipe for snickerdoodles that I really like flavor wise but shortly after cooling they start to harden I have tried refrigerating the dough and I've been trying to find tips to keep the flavor but soften the texture of the cookie without making a completely different recipe

1. Be sure the flour you are using does not have too high of a protein content. In the US, a brand like Gold Medal with 10.5% protein is good. you definitely want to avoid a brand like King Arthur with 11.7% protein. Taking care to control the protein level in the flour will help contr

2. Do not over mixing the dough as this will develop too much gluten.

3. Make sure you are creaming the butter properly. Room temperature butter is incorrect. Butter should be 65°F. This will ensure the plasticity of the butter is not destroyed by friction heat. for a full explanation see Stella Parks article on creaming butter. Stella Parks uses butter at 60°F, which is fine if you know what you are looking for when you are creaming. I actually cream butter cold out of the refrigerator. But 65°F is what they teach in culinary schools. Point is don’t use room temperature butter because you will break the butter.

Reaction score
Check out the recipe and video for The Best No Butter Snickerdoodle cookies on the Truffles and Trends website and also on Youtube. Melted coconut oil is used instead of butter. The cookies look very soft on the inside. I know you don't want to switch out your recipe, but it might be worth it to try a recipe that results in the soft cookie with good flavor that you're looking for. If you want to try your recipe again, you might want to try underbaking your cookies. All my drop cookies are slightly underbaked which is the way I prefer them. Most are ready in 7-8 minutes at 350.

Ask a Question