Tips on Making Chewy Cookies

Reaction score
I'm always in search of the secret to creating chewy cookies. Can you share your tricks in maintaining the consistency that's somewhat similar to the Keebler's Soft Batch cookies? The one that's almost moist and chewy on the inside yet dry with a bit of a thing crusty shell on the outside.

Reaction score
This is something I've struggled with as well, but I'm beginning to get the hang of it. My advice is, don't leave the cookies in for as long (maybe take them out 2 minutes earlier than the recipe states), and as soon as they're cool enough to handle, get them into an air-tight container. I don't know if it makes them the same consistency as the Keebler's ones, as we don't have them in this country, but they are still pretty soft.

Reaction score
The air tight container helps a lot! To get a chewier cookie I also add a bit of extra flour, and I always change the ratio of brown sugar and white sugar. I've found the adding more brown sugar gets your cookie a bit chewier then it would if you added more white sugar. For the flour, 1/4-1/3 of a cup extra tends to work best for me, and for brown sugar I tend to add 1/2 more brown sugar and 1/2 less of white. I also add a little extra baking powder, although I'm not sure how much it helps since the amount I add is so minimal.
Hopefully this helps you get a chewier cookie! Also make sure to take them out a little early, like cefmac suggested.

Reaction score
This is something I've struggled with as well, but I'm beginning to get the hang of it. My advice is, don't leave the cookies in for as long (maybe take them out 2 minutes earlier than the recipe states), and as soon as they're cool enough to handle, get them into an air-tight container. I don't know if it makes them the same consistency as the Keebler's ones, as we don't have them in this country, but they are still pretty soft.

Thank you for this tip! I didn't realize it would be that easy to get a chewy cookie! I think I have a problem with over baking things because I'm afraid they will be doughy if I don't!
Maybe it isn't as big of an issue with cookies as it would be with cakes or breads!

Drangofiremule - thanks also for the tips on the brown vs white sugar! I had no idea!! And I would have thought that adding more flour would make the cookies drier!

I'm going to put these tips to use next time I make chocolate chip cookies!! I LOVE this forum!!! :)

Reaction score
I like the suggestions here and I'm going to try them too. I have a hard time making chewy cookies as well. Sometimes I get chewy amd sometimes not. I never tried an airtight container though. I will also suggest this to my sister too. She always just wraps her cookies up with foil on a plate and they ways get hard but they still taste good.

Reaction score
I agree with Dragonfiremule, that a mixture of soft brown sugar and white sugar will always produce the chewiest cookies( more brown sugar compared to white sugar). I also find that chewy cookies are often the result of beating the sugar with melted butter or oil, for that matter.One more trick my mother taught me is to put handfuls of mini marshmallows in the storage container with the cookies, and the cookies will stay very chewy.Whereas the marshmallows will become rock solid. I like to think that the cookies kinda absorbs the moisture of the marshmallows.

Reaction score
I never heard of putting marshmallows in the container with the cookies. I will have to try that because I love chewy cookies.

Reaction score
The air tight container helps a lot! To get a chewier cookie I also add a bit of extra flour, and I always change the ratio of brown sugar and white sugar. I've found the adding more brown sugar gets your cookie a bit chewier then it would if you added more white sugar. For the flour, 1/4-1/3 of a cup extra tends to work best for me, and for brown sugar I tend to add 1/2 more brown sugar and 1/2 less of white. I also add a little extra baking powder, although I'm not sure how much it helps since the amount I add is so minimal.
Hopefully this helps you get a chewier cookie! Also make sure to take them out a little early, like cefmac suggested.

The brown sugar is the trick! Experiment with the ratio because it can effect the taste a bit. That and the cooking time is the way to ensure a chewy cookie. I made some chocolate chip with walnut and then tried with Pecan...I can't swear by why, but the pecan ones seemed so much moister.

Reaction score
Never heard of putting marshmallows in with the cookies, but I can certainly try that! I have heard of putting an apple slice in with them, which would definitely add moisture.

Reaction score
Cooking time is the biggest factor if you want soft cookies. If it says 8 to 10 minutes at 8 minuted they will be softer and at 10 minutes crisper. Then put them in an air tight container and they will stay soft. Of course mine never stay around long enough to get hard.

Ask a Question