Too Hot...

Reaction score
Summer weather arrived this week in all its glory. The house is very warm by mid day without using the oven. I had been thinking of baking cookies now that we can finally afford to use the oven, but it will get hotter if I do. Summer is decidedly my least favorite season.

Reaction score
Same here, I dislike summer so much. Most people in the north of europe love it, I guess that is because they don't have idea what is like to grow up in the place where I did: sun shining every single day and temps up to 37C during the hottests months... Baking during summer? No way I do that!

Reaction score
It was in the 80s all weekend here and the house was so incredibly hot. I wanted to make a couple batches of cookies myself, but it was not going to happen in this heat. The only thing I wanted was a nice cold glass of ice water.

Reaction score
Yesterday was nearly 100F, this morning we are having thunderstorms, first ones of the season! I'm actually enjoying it as they are not the scary storms like they have in the midwest or south. I certainly do not want to avoid cooking or baking all summer, but I think I will wait until this weekend, which is supposed to be cooler.

Reaction score
I'm still sitting with a blanket on me to stay warm whilst I have the windows open to let fresh air in despite the fact it is sunny outside. Somewhere around 4pm it will get warm enough to ditch the blanket but only if I don't want to have a nap. If I want to go to sleep, I will still need the blanket, a woollen blanket folded in two! Oh and the heat mat is on as well, but that is to keep my back relaxed. I'm not a great fan of hot weather, but about an extra 5-10C here right now would be nice!

Reaction score
I live in a highly landlocked, highly hilly (not mountainous like Europe persay) but small foothills/forest. It gets so entirely "muggy" and "Humid" here that I wouldn't mind the 70-90 degree Fahrenheit weather, but the humidity makes your clothes stick to your body. Tried baking the other day and my clothes stuck to my body and I was pouring sweat. Definitely not comfortable, but you gotta put up with what life dishes out at you I guess.

Reaction score
I grew up in Australia and the summers there are BRUTAL. I remember one summer there was a stretch of 5 days that were (in celsius) 46,46, 47, 46, 46.

It was awful! I would quite happily live somewhere with a bit of a cooler summer climate but right now it's not to be, by virtue of hubby's work. One day though, I'd love to not have to put up with horrible summers where you just don't want to leave the comfort of air conditioning (or deal with those air conditioning bills...)

Reaction score
I like summer, but yeah, we do get some truly hot and very humid weather here. I try to avoid using the oven at all during the hottest parts of the day. I used to only use a toaster oven during the summer, to avoid heating up the whole kitchen with the regular oven. I need a new one, so I should have started shopping around for one already. It makes a huge difference. Yes, you have to make smaller batches (unless you have one of those huge, deluxe toaster ovens), but I think it's worth it.

Reaction score
It has been so hot here the clothes literally shrink wrap themselves to your body and you feel like a walking saran-wrap-human. And then, out of nowhere, it was "I had to wear a blanket" cold all day long.

I think mother nature got sick. =/

Reaction score
During summer season when it is hot and we are perspiring a lot I usually do not have the mood to bake. The heat of the temperature of the oven and the weather together will really make my day very hot and sometimes irritable too.

Reaction score
It has been terribly hot here in North Alabama for a couple of weeks, and this week we are to have 99 degrees and up for several days. For financial reasons, I do not use my air conditioning, Needless to say, not much baking is going on at my house. The little I do bake is done early in the morning. I miss doing some baking a couple of times a week so I look forward to Fall coming back sometime around the end of October.

Reaction score
I was actually thinking of trying to sun bake something when the really hot weather hits this summer. I watched a show about people who live on a raw food diet and they sun bake food as it is not the same as real baking and keeps the nutrients in the food. I am not sure what to sun bake though.

Reaction score
I was actually thinking of trying to sun bake something when the really hot weather hits this summer. I watched a show about people who live on a raw food diet and they sun bake food as it is not the same as real baking and keeps the nutrients in the food. I am not sure what to sun bake though.

Now that is an interesting idea. I've heard of this but do not know much about it. The most sun "cooking" of any sort that I have done is making sun tea, lol. If you decide to give it a try, please let us know how it goes.

Reaction score
Now that is an interesting idea. I've heard of this but do not know much about it. The most sun "cooking" of any sort that I have done is making sun tea, lol. If you decide to give it a try, please let us know how it goes.

I do not think the concept would work well with normal baked foods like cakes and chocolate chip cookies, but there are recipes out there that this concept would work for. I am thinking of something like a whole grain cookie that does not require eggs. If I try it, I will let you all know how my baked good of choice turns out.

Reaction score
The heat is on and it is driving me out of my mind. For the longest of times it's the first i find myself drinking so much water; it doesn't seems I can drink enough to get me cooled down. If I will be baking any at all during the summer it will have to be late at nights when it gets a little cooler.

Reaction score
My mom has a double oven, where one is normal size and the other is really short. The small oven is perfect for days like this, because it doesn't heat up the whole kitchen and you can fit a tray of cookies nicely.

Reaction score
The heat is on and it is driving me out of my mind. For the longest of times it's the first i find myself drinking so much water; it doesn't seems I can drink enough to get me cooled down. If I will be baking any at all during the summer it will have to be late at nights when it gets a little cooler.
It is supposed to get to 92 degrees here over the weekend and I don't think I will even think about baking. I am taking the kids to the lake tomorrow so we can swim and cool down. It is a good time to start stocking up on my baking supplies so I will be ready to go when it cools down again!

Reaction score
I do not think the concept would work well with normal baked foods like cakes and chocolate chip cookies, but there are recipes out there that this concept would work for. I am thinking of something like a whole grain cookie that does not require eggs. If I try it, I will let you all know how my baked good of choice turns out.

Yeah, good point. I would try something without eggs as well. Right now, I'm with all the people who are talking about heading to the lake. That sounds so good right now. I think I'll reserve my baking for nighttime or super early in the mornings when its still a bit cooler.

Ask a Question