Focaccia flat bread rising too much and NOT fluffy!

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Hope you're all looking forward to the festive break!

I've made this before but after a break i can no longer get my focaccia right!

Whenever i make it the dough rises too high and looks more like a small load than a flatbread. Also its not fluffy inside but doughy!

Can anyone spot where i'm going wrong - heres the recipe. Thanks

1. 500g strong bread flour
2.. 325ml tepid water
3. 7g packet yeast
4. 10g salt
5. 1 tablespoon olive oil
6. grated garlic and rosemary as toppings

1. sift flour and salt into a mixing bowl
2. add yeast to tepid water, sprinkle some sugar and leave for 10mins
3. mix yeast mixture into flour
4. knead dough for 10-15mins
5. leave to prove at room temperature (covered) but not a proving drawer for 1hr
6. after 1hr when dough has doubled, knock-back the air, roll out the dough and place into an oiled baking tray
7. sprinkle grated garlic, rosmary and olive oil. Make dimples in dough.
8. leave to prove again for 45mins at room temp but cling-film wrapped
9. after second prove bake at 220C for 20mins.

Kay

Reaction score
Hi, this is the recipe I always use and it has worked out every time so might be worth a try. It is a Jamie Oliver recipe from you tube. Good luck.

Kate

Reaction score
thanks Kay. I had tried the very same JO recipe but the bread did not come out spongey. Instead i recently tried Paul Hollywood's version which has a higher water content to flour. Its a little more difficult to knead but did work. But given the kneading is a little tricky i will have another go at JO recipe to see if i can make it work.

Kay

Reaction score
thanks Kay. I had tried the very same JO recipe but the bread did not come out spongey. Instead i recently tried Paul Hollywood's version which has a higher water content to flour. Its a little more difficult to knead but did work. But given the kneading is a little tricky i will have another go at JO recipe to see if i can make it work.

I haven't tried the Paul Hollywood version and in the spirit of new year weight loss I am cutting back on the baking fr a while :-( When I get fed up I will try the PH recipe.
I tried the JO version and did the small cherry tomatoes and basil. Yum.
Good luck. Let me know how you get on.

Reaction score
Sure ill let you know if it works this time.

Hope you dont diet for too long. Life is too short not to eat well!

Let me know if you need the youtube links for PHs version - there are 3 short videos

Ask a Question