Turkish delight/cornflour nightmare

Reaction score
Hello everyone, really happy to join and hopefully receive some help.

First, I must say that I don't cook or bake. I'm not very clever with it. That's why I'm here.

My partner and I are having a go at Turkish delight. We have tried every available recipe online and YouTube. We CAN NOT get our cornflour to thicken once the hot sugar is added. We must have tried at least 10x now. We are going bonkers thinking of how it's possible to go so so wrong!

The cornflour will thicken on its own. We have tried different brands, as well. The sugar gets to 240f. We have tried both thickening the cornflour first (then adding the sugar slowly), and also wisking it into the sugar. Doesn't matter: both ways turn out the same-thin, watery, yellow stuff.

We're really trying, and getting so disappointed. What are we doing wrong?

Thank you,
Christine

Attachments

• DSC_0053.JPG
    DSC_0053.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 178
Reaction score
Your recipe is no good or you're misreading it.
Cook the sugar to soft ball 240F , while its cooking cook the corn starch and water until thick.
Pour the hot sugar syrup into the corn starch as you stir it with a whip.
Heres the part you missed...

Put it back on the stove and cook with an occasional stir on a low flame, it can take a long time to reach the final stage. On a low flame cook it at least 1 hour, the color will slowly turn golden, turn off heat and add rose water, some red color and pour into paper lined greased tray. Leave it until cold.
Sift corn starch and powdered sugar together and coat the cold delite with it,
cut and toss in the sugar or it will stick to itself.

Ask a Question