Vegan chocolate cake

Reaction score
I am planning to make my wedding cake next year. I have some vegan friends and relatives who will be coming and I’d really like to make a cake they can enjoy. I have tried 2 vegan chocolate cake recipes so far and I’m not happy.

The first was an actual vegan recipe and seems to be the most popular when I look up recipes: flour, cocoa powder, oil, water, soya milk, vinegar. This one has an ok texture but it was so bland.

The second cake I’ve tried was not a vegan recipe and I used substitutions: naturli vegan butter, chia eggs and some whipped aquafaba because the eggs were meant to be whipped. It also had flour, melted chocolate and ground almonds. This one tasted good but was far too dense. It was like fudge once it was fully cooled.

Does anyone have any recipes or ideas for what I should change?

Thank you

Reaction score
TBH, I would fine a vegan baker in your area and buy a cake. Trying to make a wedding cake while preparing for your own wedding will just lead to extreme stress.

But if you want to take it on, for fine vegan pastry recipes and techniques, I’d recommend The Vegan Pastry Bible by Spainish pastry chef Toni Rodriguez. He is probably the foremost expert on vegan pastry.

Toni Rodriguez’s work

Book on Amazon

Reaction score
TBH, I would fine a vegan baker in your area and buy a cake. Trying to make a wedding cake while preparing for your own wedding will just lead to extreme stress.

But if you want to take it on, for fine vegan pastry recipes and techniques, I’d recommend The Vegan Pastry Bible by Spainish pastry chef Toni Rodriguez. He is probably the foremost expert on vegan pastry.

Toni Rodriguez’s work

Book on Amazon
Thank you! I'll look into his recipes. Honestly, I don't find baking stressful. I made my sister's wedding cakes and they all had to be gluten free and it was so much fun.

Ask a Question