Vitamix? Worth it?

Reaction score
My old Oster glass blender that was a wedding gift over 20 years ago has finally seen its last days. The plastic base broke, and the shape and design is terrible for smoothies which my youngest teen likes to make. I love high quality, non-commercial equipment. I was thrilled when I inherited my mom's Cuisinart food processor with her collection of a gazillion blades, and when my late father gave me my Kitchenaid lift-bowl stand mixer for Christmas (also about 20+ years ago). I love good spatulas, even measuring cups and spoons. Silly I know but they bring me joy.

I've read review after review, and am planning to invest in an excellent blender that will last. Vitamix was at the top of my dream list. I will be using it for sauces & vinaigrettes, almond butter, smoothies with veggies & frozen fruits, batters, and perhaps soups and sorbets (I usually use my food processor). I'm looking at the newer Ascent blenders to have the individual smoothie container for my sun, the bowls for dips and almond butter, and a traditional 64oz vertical container with an opening for a damper and to add oils while blending to emulsify sauces. Specifically, I'm thinking of the A2300. I care little for presets, but multiple speeds especially through the dial is necessary and will be wonderful, no doubt.

Thoughts, experiences - better alternatives? I'm flexible on cost as this is both a long-term investment in my kitchen (and my joy!). Thanks!

Reaction score
Sauces and vinaigrettes are made with an immersion blender. A vinaigrette is an emulsion; the immersion blender is best designed to emulsify. And making sauces it's important for it to be both emulsified and finely puréed. Again an immersion blender is the best blender for the job. It's also easier to puree in the pot, which is why the immersion blender is a chef’s work horse.

Just because Vitamix is expensive does not make it the best blender.

You don't buy an expensive blender because it's expensive. You buy a blender because you will need it at least 1 to 2 times a week minimum; it has the features you will actually use each time you use it; it has the correct pitcher shape for the way you will use it; it has the right size capacity for your uses; it has the right size motor; it cleans the way you want to clean your appliances.

I recently gave away a nearly brand new ninja blender. I only used it 3 or 4 times. The shape of the pitcher did not suit my needs; I hated the blade design; I hated the clean up of the blade and pitcher. Yet, that blender is their top seller.

Here is the thing with online reviews. The reviewers are trying to be “influencers.” They are in the business to influence what people buy.

They are not actual chefs.

You are just getting sucked in by marketing advertisement.

When you consider any piece of equipment, you need to start with what your needs are.

Read this article, it's old, but What this article drives home is the “best” blender is the blender for the given application. There’s three high in blenders that are top picks--each one performing best at different tasks. You choose a blender for the task you most frequently perform. Depending on the task, Vitamix may not be the best blender for the job.

Reaction score
I, also, bought a Vitamix machine, the model 2300! Here's the link below.

Reaction score
When my beloved Oster blender, a gift in 1972, finally died in a barrage of crunching noises, I went for another Oster. They are not the same. The new one is OK, but I don't like it as much as the original ten speed one. The pitcher doesn't set firmly on the base. The pitcher is also a slightly different shape than the old model. I used to be able to throw all the ingredients for salad dressing into the blender, turn it on and it came out perfect every time. With the new one, it will not emulsify. I now add guar gum to achieve the thickness I want. Other than forums like this where we can help each other with personal experiences, I see no way to find out how an appliance will work for us until we actually try it. I do think getting advice from actual cooks who use products a more reliable source than testing companies who post about everything from cameras to toaster ovens.

Ask a Question