Are Homemade Pretzels Worth The Time

Reaction score
I've never tried to make soft pretzels but I'm surprised to hear that it was drama to make because it seems like it would be like alot of easy pasty recipes. But thanks for the heads up.

Reaction score
I tried making homemade pretzels and it was a disaster! I can totally relate with you on this!
I decided from now one, when I am hungry for a soft, warm pretzel, I will just spend the extra money to buy one at the mall or something. I will just be alert and on the lookout for coupons for Auntie Anne's or something. Because truthfully, it was so much work to make them on my own and it didn't even taste as good.

Reaction score
I haven't tried to make a homemade pretzel yet. Although, I am definitely curious. It seems as though you would need a lot of practice and patience to make one. I'm the adventurer so I think it'll be worth my time. Even if they come out bad I'll have the experience. Can someone point me into the right direction to making one on my own?

Reaction score
More of an American type of thing and never really tried them. I might jut give that recipe a go. Thanks a lot for the linky.

Reaction score
Making homemade pretzels does not have to be a long drawn out process ,there is a short cut. Buy a loaf of frozen bread dough. Let it thaw , then cut it in small pieces to roll into ropes of dough. Take the rope of dough and twist in to pretzels . Apply the baking soda and water mixture , next bake until golden brown.

Reaction score
I have made homemade pretzels before, and I found them to be very worth the while. I'm surprised a King Arthur's recipe wasn't good. The recipe I got for them was off AllRecipes.com.. I would post the recipe here but after all these comments, I better bake some first to make sure I have the correct recipe.

Reaction score
I am a little disappointed to hear that homemade pretzels are not worth the time, I definitely had pretzels on my list of things to bake soon. I guess I need to find something else to bake, however nothing can take the place of a nice, warm, soft, freshly baked pretzel. I think I might have to give in and try baking my own pretzels to see for myself, just once.

Reaction score
Malt and lye are what commercial recipes use. I think I would rather stick with more basic ingredients and have not as much of an authentic taste than to mess with lye.

Reaction score
I myself have never made them, but my mom did a few weeks ago. I have been hearing about them ever since; she loved them! They turned out well, (my mom does tend to know her way around the kitchen though). She would definitely suggest making them, and that they are worth it. Sometimes it takes a failure when making food, to learn and make it perfect next time. You never know, it may end up being one of your favourites. I would suggest trying again; research where you went wrong. The ones from the mall are probably packed with oils and butter (no wonder they taste great). When you make them at home, you know exactly what is going into them. You can make yours unique; adding all kinds of varied ingredients to match your tastes. Good luck!

Reaction score
I LOVE making homemade pretzels, so yes, I've had some success with it. It's a little time consuming, but most of it is just time that is spent while the dough is rising....it's not active time that you have to be doing stuff with them.

Choosing the right salt makes all the difference in the world, by the way. Get a chunky sea salt to sprinkle on them instead of using your table salt from the cabinet.

Reaction score
I have never tried to make my own pretzels at home. I actually thought it would be simple to make because of how I see them make it in front of you at the mall. I would love to try to make it even seems complicated, based on the comments here. I guess it will just take more practice and in time I could get it right.

Reaction score
They sell them so cheap in the freezer section of the store that I don't even bother making them homemade. Even after being microwaved, they taste soft and fresh. I sometimes will buy the sugar kind at the bakery if I am looking for a sweet pretzel.

Reaction score
Making anything from scratch is worth it. Things that is made personally taste so much better for pride.

Reaction score
To be honest I doubt they're worth the time and effort invested in them! Unless you are trying to follow a processed foods free diet. If you are not, then buy them instead. It's not worth the time and effort, it's much better to buy some of those already made, specially if the craving has just stroked.

Reaction score
Making homemade pretzels does not have to be a long drawn out process ,there is a short cut. Buy a loaf of frozen bread dough. Let it thaw , then cut it in small pieces to roll into ropes of dough. Take the rope of dough and twist in to pretzels . Apply the baking soda and water mixture , next bake until golden brown.

That is a great shortcut! I often do that when I make empanadas... buy the dough that is ready and just use it. I don't see the point in wasting all that time in making the dough myself, specially if I'm short in time. I might change of mind later on :) Once I have enough spare tie to bake ;)

Reaction score
Oh my god yes, so worth it! My husband and I haven't made full pretzels before but we made those bite-sized ones with the cheesy sauce to go with it. It's always SO GOOD and it tastes better than the ones we'd get at any restaurant.

It's a LITTLE labor intensive (if I recall correctly with the recipe you need to actually boil the dough first and then bake it in the oven), but the result is so worth it :)

Reaction score
Oh my god yes, so worth it! My husband and I haven't made full pretzels before but we made those bite-sized ones with the cheesy sauce to go with it. It's always SO GOOD and it tastes better than the ones we'd get at any restaurant.

It's a LITTLE labor intensive (if I recall correctly with the recipe you need to actually boil the dough first and then bake it in the oven), but the result is so worth it :)

Like someone said above, you could use the frozen bread dough. I love that stuff. It makes great pizza crust too.

Reaction score
I don't think i have such a great likes for pretzel to put in all that time and effort to make that at home; i've always bought them at the stores and they're pretty good i can't complain.

Ask a Question