What are Skin's Top Enemies?

Reaction score
Since it is summer, I just wanted to express my concern about Sun exposure. Sun exposure is very dangerous for skin. Staying in the shade and wearing suncreen daily from head to toe is very important. What are the top enemies for skin and what do you do to protect yourself?

Reaction score
The top enemy is definitely the sun. All the sunspots and wrinkles that you see on middle aged people is sun damage. I'm 38 and I'm constantly being asked for a photo ID and mistaken for a younger person because I wear sunscreen every day, avoid the sun, stay hydrated, and don't smoke.

Have you ever noticed that when an older person takes their shirt off, their body is less wrinkled? That's because the sun doesn't hit there. Photoaging is serious and there's no such thing as a healthy tan. I know a tanning addict who oils her skin and lies in the sun. She looks like a leather sofa.

Reaction score
My step-dad has had skin cancer on his face, so I am always super cautious in the sun. I always wear factor 50 on my face (in the UK it's complete overkill but the product I use is actually a nice face base too) and I keep out of the sun when I can. I wear at least factor 30 on my body if I'm in the sun.

Agreed that sun and smoking are very bad for your skin. Annoyingly I read the other day that eating a lot of sugar is also bad for your skin!! Probably shouldn't mention that here...!! ;)

Reaction score
I am glad that you are taking precautions and protecting yourselves from the sun. It is sad to hear of so many sun worshipers who are just baking cancer into their skin. Smoking, it is true is another enemy of skin. Thanks for the reminder about sugar, too. I will try to cut down on it some more.

Reaction score
I am glad that you are taking precautions and protecting yourselves from the sun. It is sad to hear of so many sun worshipers who are just baking cancer into their skin. Smoking, it is true is another enemy of skin. Thanks for the reminder about sugar, too. I will try to cut down on it some more.

Yeah, there's no such thing as a healthy tan. When you tan, you're inflicting damage on your skin.
People focus on temporarily looking good but in the long term, tanning will catch up with you.

Reaction score
I am definitely believing that sugar is bad for your skin, it is bad for causing a lot of our diseases. And since cancer cells only feed on sugar, then it is probably a heavy cause of cancer also. Cancer and heart disease were both virtually unknown until about the last 100 years when people started eating more sugar and using white flour.
Being in the sun is how our body absorbs Vitamin D, and it also helps us to be happy, so the sun is not bad, just being in it when it is the hottest and for too long of a time, is not good, and what can cause the wrinkles.

Reaction score
Dirt and bacteria are not good for your skin. which is why you always want to make sure that you are keeping your hands clean and switching your pillow case on a regular basis.

Ask a Question