What to use if there's no oven?

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

At times, I live in an apartment where there is no oven, but then I'm so in the mood to bake and make sweets! What a dilemma.

Could I use anything like a microwave or those small oven toasters? If so, any suggestions on what I could bake when using these?

Thanks! :)

Reaction score
I used to have a convection/microwave that was great for baking items. They aren't cheap, but you can take it with you when you move. (which my son did when he moved out, and my kitchen aid and so much else)

Also, my stove has 2 ovens, one being much more like a toaster oven. I bake everything in there that I can to save energy. Bread, muffins, cakes, brownies, cookies, etc. There is a big difference between toaster ovens, so no guarantees, but I'd give it a shot. My biggest problem with my little oven is clearance. I can only bake things in it that aren't very high.

Reaction score
Thank you for that! How about the temperature for baking these sweets such as brownies and cookies? Because with the oven toaster, there is not specific temperature settings, just the specific minutes.

Reaction score
ACK I don't know. My toaster oven is part of my stove and I can set the temperature. Do you have an oven thermometer so you can see what temperature it gets too?

It might take some experimentation but I'm sure you can manage to bake some things in there.

There are also special pans to use for baking in a regular microwave. I used to make apple oatmeal muffins in the microwave all the time. They didn't really brown very much but they sure tasted good. Very moist.

Reaction score
Have you looked on Amazon for toaster ovens? There are countertop ovens that go up to 450 degrees and people bake cakes and frozen pizzas in them.
My Oster countertop oven cost $80 and I've baked cupcakes and bread in it. Don't buy the smallest ,weakest $30 toaster oven. There are small ovens that are real workhorses and almost as good as a full size oven.

Reaction score
Yes I forgot about my oven thermometer. I could use that for my temperature dilemma. Maybe I should just look at Amazon for a new toaster oven so I could bake more goods instead of just limiting myself to small brownies and things like that.

Reaction score
Yes I forgot about my oven thermometer. I could use that for my temperature dilemma. Maybe I should just look at Amazon for a new toaster oven so I could bake more goods instead of just limiting myself to small brownies and things like that.
That's a good idea. Some of the new toaster ovens can bake a whole chicken or a frozen pizza. I remember when toaster ovens were dinky little things that you could use to toast a cheese sandwich. Now they're almost as good as a real oven.

Ask a Question