Your own tea shop one day

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Mara, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Mara

Mara Well-Known Member

One day I would like to have my own tea shop and sell my cakes, donuts, brownies, muffins, cookies and pies and serve tea, coffee and hot chocolate. I know lots of people have a dream to do this and I really would like to do it. I even have recipes ready and also a menu!

I would also make home made soup to go with the bread I bake. A chowder of the day!
    It would be a place people could drop in any time of day and everything would be freshly baked...

Mara, Dec 17, 2014
    kammy likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. Mara

mommy42 Well-Known Member

Sounds yummy!!! My daughter and I love to read and have talked about opening a bookstore with comfy chairs, a faux fireplace and just a place you want to come and read! Of course we will want it next to a coffee shop so people can bring their coffee and enjoy a book - or tea!!! :)

mommy42, Dec 17, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. Mara

Tina Nord Well-Known Member

I really like your idea. There are so many coffee shops around. But not enough tea places. Coffee shops tend to have a dark atmosphere and I always thought a tea shop would be a little more cozy, like country cozy. Any thoughts to your layout?

Tina Nord, Dec 17, 2014
  4. Mara

Not really - other than comfy. Chairs that you just want to curl up in - so to me it means like a conversation area but more conducive to reading. My daughter is only 15 but our ideal life would be to read. And then when we need a break - a TV - and coffee or tea. Lol

mommy42, Dec 17, 2014
  5. Mara

Mara Well-Known Member

I would have sofas and also benches so people can pop in and read the paper while having a snack or work on the laptop. It's about space too and too many small tables take up room and limits who can come in. I would also have a panini press for toasted sandwiches with a choice of breads ( need to learn to bake those!) and morning popovers and savory pastries with cheese and mushrooms in them.

I'm a long way off, but would also do a loyalty scheme say they pay X amount for a cake, coffee and sandwich per week including take out.

Mara, Dec 18, 2014
  6. Mara

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

That sounds lovely, OP. There aren't a lot of tea shops in the US where people can just go and relax. Your place a sounds a lot cozier than Starbucks. I hope you'll invite us to the grand opening.

ACSAPA, Dec 18, 2014
  7. Mara

Tara Well-Known Member

I love the idea too. There is a tea shop near me, but it doesn't sound as welcoming as your idea. When I lived in San Francisco, I loved to eat soup and bread for lunch. Actually, it was soup in a bread bowl. I really miss it. Clam chowder in a sourdough bread bowl was unbelievably delicious.

Tara, Dec 19, 2014
  8. Mara

kammy Well-Known Member

Thinking about it i am surrounded by a few coffee shops but not one tea shop and this is like so sad.I really like your idea @Mara as I would gladly go to a tea shop when i need to have myself some me time and just to breathe easy while sipping my favorite tea.;)

kammy, Dec 19, 2014
  9. Mara

Mara Well-Known Member

My ideal locations would be one on the East coast and one on the West coast, near the sea! As much as I like coffee, being British, tea time and elevenses is always important to me, when you stop for a cup of tea, coffee or chocolate with a light snack.

I know many places are eclipsed by the chains, but good freshly baked food is always more of a draw as long as the atmosphere and the prices are right. I was in one place in New England which was nice, but their menu was written on a black board and nothing was organized, so I stood there for ages trying to read it and just ordered coffee and their brownies were so expensive, nice, but not worth the extra it cost. When I see places like this, it encourages me to do something better.

Mara, Dec 19, 2014
  10. Mara

Very nice. Sounds like you have thought through every angle and have a really good plan in place. I hope it works out for you to do this! I'll come visit too!! :) I'm more of a coffee drinker but your baked goods and sandwiches etc, sound yummy!

mommy42, Dec 19, 2014
  11. Mara

Tina Nord Well-Known Member

You should bring one to the Seattle area. We are over run by coffee shops and could use a nice tea cafe. I really like my morning coffer, but could use some afternoon tea too.

Tina Nord, Dec 20, 2014
  12. Mara

ReadmeByAmy Well-Known Member

You had a very nice plan of putting a tea shop as your business. It is very interesting because all we had around are all coffee shops and your concepts are good and for a change of place to hang out, eat and relax. Well I am wishing you all the best and for your dream to come true. Good luck! :)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
    ReadmeByAmy, Apr 7, 2015
  13. Mara

Trellum Well-Known Member

Your idea sounds wonderful, if we lived in the same are I'd surely go thee :) Maybe have lunch there with come colleagues ;) Would love to have a cup of coffee, buy a tasty muffin and after that maybe eat some of that soup! Would love to lunch like that every Friday! That is how people in most northern European countries lunch ;) They like some bread for lunch... I personally love soups.

Trellum, Apr 9, 2015
  14. Mara

Trellum Well-Known Member

Ever thought of bring one to the Netherlands? I'm tired of coffee shops that are nothing but coffee shops, lol. I'd love to have a place like that here, so cozy and nice! The atmosphere is everything, I've came int o places that felt so cozy... loved the lighting, the decoration... some places have such a good vibe.

Trellum, Apr 9, 2015
  15. Mara

Mara Well-Known Member

Even though I am in the UK, I'm thinking it will be in the US, attached to the spiritual retreat I am planning. I'm currently building up some recipes and hopefully put it into a book and then maybe get some crowdfunding to get it going.

Who knows, maybe the goods can be franchised later on, but as I am a vegetarian most items will be vegetarian or vegan. Chocolate of course is allowed!

Mara, Apr 9, 2015
  16. Mara

cupcakechef Well-Known Member

This was a big dream of mine - I don't know that I would be able to achieve it at this point in life, but maybe at some point down the track! I wanted it to be like a used book store where people could just grab a book of the shelves and read it while they had home made baked goods and tea or coffee. I'd want the place to have a vintage warehousey type feel - quite rustic but homely!

cupcakechef, Jul 19, 2015
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question