10 french pastries you can make at home

Reaction score
I've found a very neat list with 10 french pastries you can make at home =D Would you dare to give them a try?

Sinfully-Easy-Chocolate-Croissant-Recipe-1.jpg

http://www.brit.co/french-pastries/?utm_campaign=pinbutton_hover

Have you ever tried making any of those? How did it go? The only one i want to try are the croissants and pain au chocolat ;)

Reaction score
Yum, I love croissants, and the galette looks a lot like my fruit crostate. I have been wanting to try making the Mille-Feuille for a bit now, ever since seeing Martha Stewart make them. I think life is easier with puff pastry, for sure. I grew up with French, Italian, and Swedish bakeries nearby, so really do miss the variety of amazing treats that were readily available.

Reaction score
Galette seems to be thef one that I like just by seeing it. The others while pleasing on the eyes look like trouble for me. Tooooo sweet. The only croissant I truly love is a ham and cheese croissant. Any of the other sweet stuff I could do without. All that aside I have never made a pastry. It would be good to try anything.

Reaction score
I've never tried to make any of those, I always thought it would require some sort of classical pastry chef training to make a lot of these things! Nice to know that isn't the case and they are quite achievable. The choux buns look amazing! Cream + pastry + chocolate = winner!

Reaction score
Yeah, I also thought so because they look oh so fancy, don't they? Like most things french do in the kitchen and their bakeries ;) So fancy! I loooove pain au chocolat! I'm definitely going to try making that one next year, I might have a lot time off then :)

Reaction score
Galette seems to be thef one that I like just by seeing it. The others while pleasing on the eyes look like trouble for me. Tooooo sweet. The only croissant I truly love is a ham and cheese croissant. Any of the other sweet stuff I could do without. All that aside I have never made a pastry. It would be good to try anything.

For me the hardest to make would probably be the maccaron. I don't even like them anyway, lol. But the others look quite easy, specially the soft pastry ones. I love the cheese and ham croissants they make in the Netherlands, there is one bakery where they sell the best! I love the chocolate filled ones, too, not too sweet! In my country this kind of breads are so sweet... they use Nutella as a filler, but not in the Netherlands.

Reaction score
Yum, I love croissants, and the galette looks a lot like my fruit crostate. I have been wanting to try making the Mille-Feuille for a bit now, ever since seeing Martha Stewart make them. I think life is easier with puff pastry, for sure. I grew up with French, Italian, and Swedish bakeries nearby, so really do miss the variety of amazing treats that were readily available.

I love Swedish breads and pastries :) I lived in Norway for a while, I ventured into Sweden several times just to try their nice bread... Norwegian bread sucks, lol. Well, maybe it was just me, but I didn't think most bakeries offered a big variety... They made some really bad tasting bread sometimes too, like a weird bread infused with errr cheese? LOL, it was so weird! The pies I tried were also bad too. Swedish are better :)

Reaction score
For me the hardest to make would probably be the maccaron. I don't even like them anyway, lol. But the others look quite easy, specially the soft pastry ones. I love the cheese and ham croissants they make in the Netherlands, there is one bakery where they sell the best! I love the chocolate filled ones, too, not too sweet! In my country this kind of breads are so sweet... they use Nutella as a filler, but not in the Netherlands.

Ham and cheese is the only croissant that gets me excited. It's something I want to attempt one of these days. As for the other chocolate filled and generally sweet stuff I try to stay away from those. Too sweet is not neat for me. I am going to look up EASY pastry making because if it's not easy, it's not something I will be trying anytime soon.

Reaction score
@Winterybella You can buy the crescent dough ready to use from the market :) That is what I am going to do when I prepare my dark chocolate croissants ;) I'll use the one from the store, at least until I get familiar with my new environment :p

Reaction score
@Winterybella You can buy the crescent dough ready to use from the market :) That is what I am going to do when I prepare my dark chocolate croissants ;) I'll use the one from the store, at least until I get familiar with my new environment :p

Okay. I guess I'll have to see if it's available here. I have found that a lot of things I thought might not be available in my country are in some specialty shops. Still, I would love to make something from scratch so I can make that boast:). I have a friend who does pastry classes. I had completely forgotten. Maybe it's because it is one of those friends you don't talk to that often.

Reaction score
I hope you do find it :) I think pastry is not as hard as some people think, just tedious and long at best, but not so difficult. If you want to learn more about how to make pastries then check YouTube, I learnt how to make a specific type of pastry thank to that web site :) It's such a long process, but it's must better than buying the overpriced ready to use dough.

Ask a Question