Angel food cake

Reaction score
I had heard of angel food cake before, but never really given it any thought until the made it on The Great British Bake Off the other day. Now I really want to try making it! I've been wondering though, do you really need the special tin for it? I've never made it before and might not make it regularly enough to warrant buying a specific type of tin, but I'm worried it wouldn't work in a normal cake tin.

Has anyone had any experience in making this kind of cake, specifically with a standard cake tin?

Reaction score
According to the website Chow, you can make angel food cake without the tube pan, but you have to use a nonstick pan since the pan can't have any oil or grease on it or the cake won't rise.

Reaction score
My mom used to make it for our birthdays every year! It was always such a treat! She would also make homemade frosting to go with it and we would get to pick the food color-coloring to add to it! Ah, such fond memories!

We used a special pan - the tube shaped one. But I've seen them at the stores in square shapes so like acsapa said it must work!

I think once you taste your own you will love it so much you will want to make it all the time! It is so good and moist and just seems to melt in your mouth! :)

Reaction score
Thanks for your advice. I might give it a go with a normal, round non-stick pan then! I did know that you're not supposed to grease it, because that can cause the cake to slide down the sides of the tin, but in that case, do you need to do anything to the tin? Like brush it with flour maybe? Or do you just leave it as it is?

mommy42, your description has got me salivating - it sounds delicious!

Reaction score
You can always line your pan with parchment paper. This will allow you to bake different shapes and not have to worry about the cake sticking.Silicone pans are another option you could try when baking this cake most do not need to be oiled for baking.

Reaction score
No, you don't need a special pan to make it in, but the parchment paper is a helpful idea, you don't want to risk it sticking and messing the whole thing up. I like a good angel food cake, usually with fresh fruit.

Ask a Question