angel food cupcakes deflating

mab

Reaction score
The first batch I did I think I pulled out of the oven too soon. They deflated A LOT. The second batch I waited until the tops were completely golden brown and came out clean....but they also still deflated a bit. The batter was folded and I made sure not to over mix. Also, they were definitely large before I took them out.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• cupcakes2.jpg
    cupcakes2.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 472
Reaction score
Is it a packet mix or a from scratch mix? Do you have the ingredient list? That might help us in deciphering what potentially went wrong!

Reaction score
I agree with,cupcake. We need to get more details about the ingredients, and if you followed the exact instructions... if you had to convert any quantity (most people have troubles after having to do that), etc. We need to know all that before we can say anything else.

Reaction score
I'd say they probably needed longer in the oven - if you take them out too soon then there isn't enough strength in the structure to support it, and they collapse. It's really tempting to open the oven to check on them, but resist the urge!

As the others mention above, it may be that there is an issue with the recipe - sometimes when there is too much raising agent it causes the cake to puff up too much then drop right back down.

A little bit of a drop is totally normal and to be expected though.

Reaction score
Kids jumping around and running in the house always make my cakes drop. One day I had a sunken caramel cake. I was mad and kicked everyone out the house when I put my other cake in the oven.

Reaction score
Kids jumping around and running in the house always make my cakes drop. One day I had a sunken caramel cake. I was mad and kicked everyone out the house when I put my other cake in the oven.

Haha I had no idea that could cause a cake to drop!

Reaction score
I'm always super careful when I am baking a cake or anything delicate that has to rise, because I've had them fall when my big kitty has jumped down from a tall place, or when a large truck has driven by. They're (18-wheelers) not supposed to come down into our neighborhood, but do sometimes when they get lost. It doesn't seem to take much, and despite all of my efforts at shimming it up, this stove refuses to sit flat on the floor, so that may also contribute to the issue.

Ask a Question