At what temperature is it Ok to put the cooled down cake into the Fridge ?

Reaction score
Reason I ask is because some Fridges suffer greatly with Water condensation -&- sometimes when I put Bread in my fridge ,2 days later all soggy.

Also sometimes get moisture on cake. I checked a website about this -all it said that it takes 2 hours for anything to cool down to room temperature- But everyone probably knows that all cakes & breads take different times.

I have a chefs thermometer I can use- but if the cake is 1 degree warmer than inside my fridge then the moistures condensation on top can not be prevented.
I am using a cake cover - should I Refrigerate it without a cover ???

Reaction score
Reason I ask is because some Fridges suffer greatly with Water condensation -&- sometimes when I put Bread in my fridge ,2 days later all soggy.

Also sometimes get moisture on cake. I checked a website about this -all it said that it takes 2 hours for anything to cool down to room temperature- But everyone probably knows that all cakes & breads take different times.

I have a chefs thermometer I can use- but if the cake is 1 degree warmer than inside my fridge then the moistures condensation on top can not be prevented.
I am using a cake cover - should I Refrigerate it without a cover ???

Condensation occurs in a refrigerator when warm air comes in contact with the cold air in the refrigerator. There’s also a lot of moisture in the refrigerator because the types of foods that we store in the refrigerator are normally high moisture foods.

Freshly baked cake layers should not be refrigerated—ever. Refrigerators have evaporators on them in order to remove the humity inside. The evaporator will dry out your cake.

Cool your cake layers. Wrap them in plastic wrap. Take care that there is no air between the plastic wrap and the cake. Leave them on the counter for decorating the following day.

If baking in advance for later decorating, wrap them in plastic wrap and then aluminum foil. Take care that there is no air between the plastic and the cake. Then freeze up to 3 months. To defrost layers simply place them in the refrigerator the night before you need them.

For a cake that has been iced, refrigerate in a cake carrier. You’re going to get condensation, but on a iced cake it usually will not look too bad unless you have a deep colored icing.

fondant cakes are going to be really problematic because fondant and condensation or a recipe for disaster. The best way to refrigerate a fondant cake is placing the cake in a heavy corrugated cardboard box. The cardboard box will absorb the condensation. Do you also want to bring the cake up to temperature very slowly. After removing it from the refrigerator do not take it out of the box until it has come to room temperature. The extreme difference in temperature from the room and the cake will cause condensation to form immediately if you take it out of the box. So you really have to plan when it comes to Refrigerating a fondant cake.

Ask a Question