Bake Sales

Chi

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I'm new here and I'm doing lots of research into the home baking industry. I'm working on an online platform where people can sell their baked goods. Sort of like an etsy for baked goods.

I'd love to learn from you if you've ever thought about starting a business from your home, and why you haven't. Or if you have, how's it going? What kind of challenges do you face? What have been some lessons learned? What kind of products are most popular? Who tends to buy your treats?

Thanks so much for a lovely forum and community :)

Reaction score
My husband's brother had started a home-grown bakery with a big oven in their garage. It's intention was for the fun of his children. Well, the baking was not good at first because the bread were as tough as bricks, literally so it is not edible. After an adjustment, the bread looked good enough so they started selling. The children do the delivery in their village and it was really fun for them. However, the hard work is in the baking for they have to do the dough by midnight and start baking at dawn. It was hard work and their profit was disappointingly small, not worth the effort. They sold the oven and quit.

Reaction score
I never really thought about professionally baking because to me, it's always been a de-stressing hobby. When I've had a long day or have a lot on my mind, I find it therapeutic to get into the kitchen and make something. I think if I ever tried to pursue it for monetary reasons it would lose that charm of being something that helped me lower my stress levels - in fact I think it would drastically increase them!

Reaction score
I love finding a good bake sale. Not only do they have good deals on homemade goodies, a lot of the time they have things that I really have no business even trying to make, so it is nice to get the chance to get some of those. More than that, though, they are for a good cause. We have a school here that seems to hold a lot of them, and they are probably due here pretty soon. Thanks for sharing.

Reaction score
I had considered baking as a career, but that was many years ago. I don't have the greatest oven right now, and the kitchen here is tiny, with very little counter space, so it's not something I would want to delve into. I do have an Etsy shop, but it's for jewelry and other handcrafted items, not baked goods.

I did see some baked goods appearing on the site, particularly over the last holiday season. I was looking around for items to include in some treasuries I was making, and that's how I found them, because prior to that, I was unaware people could/would sell baked goods there. A site developed specifically for home baked goods might be something that would take off, because it seems they're in demand, and a lot of people don't seem to cook or bake for themselves these days.

Ask a Question