Baking brownies in crystal pans?

Reaction score
I feel a bit daring lately, I'd love to bake some brownies using a squared crystal pan, because my old metal pan is too old. I've heard using a crystal pan isn't a good idea. Can someone tell me if there is something I could do to make this experience easier? Should I try it or not? Also... does anyone know the Jamie Oliver toffe sauce recipe???

Reaction score
What is a crystal pan please?

Jamie Oliver Sticky Toffee Sauce http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fruit-recipes/sticky-toffee-pudding/#xexD8fQIg08ltxuE.97
the BBC Good Food Sticky Toffee Sauce looks nicer though http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3682/ultimate-sticky-toffee-pudding

The Guardian newspaper did an interesting article on sticky toffee pudding and stick toffee sauce which is worth reading. There are links to various recipes as well.
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2011/apr/14/cook-perfect-sticky-toffee-pudding

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the recipe, tried it last year with some brownies and ice cream, liked it a lot :) As for the crystal pan, I'm of course talking of a baking crystal pan. Most likely a pyrex ones. You know the thick ones you can use for baking? So far have only used the ones for pies, but I also have the squared ones. I have never done anything else but baking all sorts of dishes in the squared ones, but never tried brownies or something like that. I heard some people do use them like that, but baked goods tend to stick to the surface a bit.

Anyways, thanks a lot!!!!!!! I can't believe that sauce only uses 3 ingredients, the person who made it made it look like it was the most difficult thing she had ever prepared.... took her hours to make it. Ok, not literally hours, but you get what I mean ;)

Reaction score
As for the crystal pan, I'm of course talking of a baking crystal pan. Most likely a pyrex ones.
so you mean glass? I haven't come across the term crystal before. (I'm in the UK). We use glass pyrex that is clear or metal.
I've baked brownies in round, square or rectangular metal baking trays/tins..

Crystal for me means Waterford and very finely cut champagne or wine glasses like this
http://www.waterford.co.uk/

Reaction score
Yes, glass pyrex :) I have many of those lying around. What confusion! I can now understand why you got so confused!! But yes, it's pyrex, we just call it pyrex here.

Reaction score
To answer this question, it depends on who is telling you glass bakeware is not worth using.

Some people swear by them, while others despise them.

Glass or Pyrex bakes a little differently than metal. I have a nice Pyrex pan, and I love it. I usually bake casseroles and such in it, but have made a few cakes.

In my case, the edges of the cakes get crusty....you know, like brownies do on the edges. Personally I like this, but many people don't.

I've also baked browines in this pan simply because they get extra crunchy on the edges and sides, which is my favorite part!

Reaction score
To answer this question, it depends on who is telling you glass bakeware is not worth using.

Some people swear by them, while others despise them.

Glass or Pyrex bakes a little differently than metal. I have a nice Pyrex pan, and I love it. I usually bake casseroles and such in it, but have made a few cakes.

In my case, the edges of the cakes get crusty....you know, like brownies do on the edges. Personally I like this, but many people don't.

I've also baked browines in this pan simply because they get extra crunchy on the edges and sides, which is my favorite part!

I tried it in the end and loved the result :) I've tried it 3 times already and oh god... fudgy brownies are the best!!!!! I loved the result :) I'll definitely be baking more things in my Pyrex containers :) Thanks for the input! More great reasons to use those containers!

Reaction score
I was lost when you said crystal and just thought it was the really expensive crystal that were planning on using. I use glass to bake my bread especially and it comes out just fine. I use it for all my banana bread. The only thing I do is adjust the temperature to 15 degrees less and it works beautifully. I like that I can see what went on as soon as I take my baking out. The only surprise would be the middle and I have not had surprises there yet. Glad you had a great result @Trellum.

Ask a Question