Baking for Walkers

Reaction score
I live on a very busy walking path and I was thinking it would be a nice idea to set up a honesty box and bake some cakes, cookies for the Walkers that go by every day. My Parents have just got back from a 200 mile coast to coast walk and they said that many of the walks had no shops so they could get lunch etc.
I was thinking that I could do something but it would have to be healthy and nutricous and have slow release energy to keep them going. Have you any ideas other then the usual fruit cake and carrot cake?

Reaction score
What a generous idea! Morning Glory muffins would be a nice offering - they're sweet, but full of healthy ingredients like carrots, walnuts, and dried fruits.

Reaction score
What a generous idea! Morning Glory muffins would be a nice offering - they're sweet, but full of healthy ingredients like carrots, walnuts, and dried fruits.
mmmmmmmmm they sound nice and they have plenty of good ingredients in them. Im in the mood for baking today so I might try a few suggestions that pop up on here :)

Reaction score
I'd go with relatively healthy options, like cookies made with oatmeal, or granola.

Reaction score
If you're a The Walking Dead fan, the title of this thread sounds funny.
Anyway if you're looking for energy giving snacks for the walkers, these look good.

1c25e9e416ea3ddb7b3b518d66d9f559.jpg

Reaction score
That's a really nice idea! I would agree that high slow-release energy foods are the best. I'd go for baking using oats, fruit (especially bananas and berries) and, if you want to make something a little more indulgent, dark chocolate. Over here in the UK, there's something called Kendal Mint Cake which is traditionally popular with walkers and climbers, but it's really just a slab of mint and sugar. I'm sure you could make something better than that.

Reaction score
That's a really nice idea! I would agree that high slow-release energy foods are the best. I'd go for baking using oats, fruit (especially bananas and berries) and, if you want to make something a little more indulgent, dark chocolate. Over here in the UK, there's something called Kendal Mint Cake which is traditionally popular with walkers and climbers, but it's really just a slab of mint and sugar. I'm sure you could make something better than that.
Yes I have had that before :) I live in South Wales and the walk by us is Offa's Dyke which is a good 177 miles long although not everyone does it in one go.
I have done museli and dark chocolate cookies in the past and they went well so I was looking for other ideas as well. Thanks for the no bake energy bites they sound yummy!

Reaction score
What a great idea! Flapjacks are often a favourite for walkers, and there are loads of different ways to do them. They also last quite well and can be cut into easy to eat bars, which is very handy when you are out and about.

Reaction score
What a great idea! Flapjacks are often a favourite for walkers, and there are loads of different ways to do them. They also last quite well and can be cut into easy to eat bars, which is very handy when you are out and about.
Thanks Becky, I was thinking that as well. They need to be tasty, nutricous and easy to eat when on the go. I will try some this weekend and report back. As it is Bank Holiday over here in the UK, I wille xpect a fair few walkers to go past here.

Reaction score
That is a very good point! I hope it all goes well - let us know how you get on! :D

Ask a Question