Baking Hacks

Reaction score
Recently, I saw a brilliant hack: a woman took a cheap chocolate bar and melted it in her hands (while still in the wrapper). She then cut a tiny triangular snip out of the corner of the wrapping to make a hole. Then she proceeded to use the chocolate as her icing for writing on the top of her already frosted cake! It was one of the best hacks I ever saw! It was able to write on the entire cake and only costs .50 cents U.S. What about you? Do you have any cool baking hacks you can share?

Reaction score
That sounds awesome!!! I'm going to have to use it. I won't need my hands though because it's so hot here sometimes.

The only things I do I dont know if you'd consider them Hacks. I use ziplock bags instead of piping bags, if I cant fins buttermilk or whipped cream I just substitute by making my own, I always use a cup to put the ziplock in when I'm filling with frosting, I REFUSE to buy those 2-color piping bags and just stick two ziplocks in one, and SOMETIMES if I have flavored gelatin powder onhand and no icing color, I'll use it to color my frosting.

Reaction score
That is a wonderful hack, OP. I might actually try it one day! I honestly don't know many hacks when it comes to baking, but I know a couple kitchen tricks... like for example adding a peeled potato into a pot of a broth that is a bit salty. The potato is supposed to absorb some of the salt.

Reaction score
That's pretty clever. I might have to try that with a Hershey's bar or something. I don't know how well it would work with different types of chocolate, I'm guessing it has to be one that is pretty firm when cool otherwise it might not be able to stick real well.

I love those clever little hacks. I need to find those sites that have them all listed.

Ask a Question